🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client escrowed 5$ for 100$ contract. What ha...
Page options
pupos
Community Member

Client escrowed 5$ for 100$ contract. What happens after submitting milestone after 14 days?

Hi!

So, situation is this.

I worked with client with whom I had no paying problems previously. And for his 3rd contract with me he created $100 milestone, but funded (escrowed) only $5 of them. I didn't saw that as smth important, cause client was trustworthy judging from previous experience.

I completed the work and submited milestone for all $100. Now is 12th day after milestone submission. Everytime I ask what's happening -- client answers "I will release funds tomorrow", so I suppose he isn't going to pay in the end.

I understand it was my mistake in the first place (agreeing on that terms). And I understand that $5 will get back to me (on the 14th day), but remaining $95 won't. This is Upwork rules, no complains here. 

My questions are:

[1] On the 14th day -- will client recieve work files (that I sent via milestone submission form) essentially for free ($5), so there will be no reason for client to pay remaining $95, or he won't recieve those work files?

[2] I have this feeling that if I'll continue to push on the "scammer-type" client even as politely as possible and with accordance to Upwork rules -- he will give me bad feedback anyway (for example he will be mad at me just because I decided to protect myself, not going along with his $5 masterplan). So, I don't want this strange $5 contract with bad review on my public profile.

What will be the best choice to keep that contract away from my profile?

a) End contract BEFORE I get paid those $5 (end contract before 14 day period expires). But I fear that Upwork will count that as unfinished contract and heavily punish my JSS.

b) Recieve $5 and then refund the client. I afraid that even if client were to leave 5/5 rating, JSS will be punished anyway (counted as unfinished contract).

c) I also can use my Top Rated perk to remove this contract, but you know... using it on $5-scammer-contract will be kind of sad.

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Roman A wrote:

My questions are:

[1] On the 14th day -- will client recieve work files (that I sent via milestone submission form) essentially for free ($5), so there will be no reason for client to pay remaining $95, or he won't recieve those work files?

The client already has your files. Clients are (obviously) sent the files the second you submit, otherwise, how could they check them?

Roman A wrote:

What will be the best choice to keep that contract away from my profile?

a) End contract BEFORE I get paid those $5 (end contract before 14 day period expires). But I fear that Upwork will count that as unfinished contract and heavily punish my JSS.

b) Recieve $5 and then refund the client. I afraid that even if client were to leave 5/5 rating, JSS will be punished anyway (counted as unfinished contract).

c) I also can use my Top Rated perk to remove this contract, but you know... using it on $5-scammer-contract will be kind of sad.

At this stage nothing bad happened yet.

Wait.

a) a contract with nothing paid at all always counts as unsuccessful for JSS purposes. Don't do that.

b) why would you want to refund the client? A contract with money paid does not hurt the JSS, even if less was paid than agreed,

c) at this stage chances are the wost that can happen is that the client never appears again and you leave the contract sit there and eventually close it. Why would you get poor feedback or anything of the kind?

pupos
Community Member

The client already has your files. Clients are (obviously) sent the files the second you submit, otherwise, how could they check them?

Hahahahahahaha, I didn't know that! Thanks for clearing this out!

This changed all my situation.

a) a contract with nothing paid at all always counts as unsuccessful for JSS purposes. Don't do that.

b) why would you want to refund the client? A contract with money paid does not hurt the JSS, even if less was paid than agreed,

c) at this stage chances are the wost that can happen is that the client never appears again and you leave the contract sit there and eventually close it. Why would you get poor feedback or anything of the kind?

Well, yeah, if client already got all the job-files from me -- then "just wait" will be the best choice.

Thanks!!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths