🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client experience
Page options
xreel
Community Member

Client experience

Hello, my fellow freelancers. Hope you all are doing well. Something was just making me anxious so I am typing it here.

A client approached me months back with some regular work and I started doing it without making a contract. Whenever I asked him about when and how will he pay he always ignored it. A month back when I completed the first set of work I asked him to pay at least for the first lot and sent him the contract. He stopped replying. I asked him how should we proceed. In 4 days he said he has some personal emergency. I completely understood that. I kept on messaging him every week if he is available. After 15 days I tried checking his company's Instagram whether my work was used or not. I instantly got blocked from there. This made me a little angry and I told him that I'll report him if he uses my work without paying me and sell my work to someone else. The man who never replied me back for 15 days and ignored my messages suddenly replied now. How weird. He told me to stop threatening him and said he'll report me. Is this called threatening? He told me he blocked me because he blocks every Indian due to competitive reasons. I told him at least you should have told me when are you going to pay me. I never asked for payment before. He quickly sent me the payment and told me not to bother him very very disrespectfully.

Now the things that are making me anxious.

1. Was I wrong?

2. Did I threaten him?

3. Is this normal to get treated this way on Upwork? 

4. What if he reports me now?

Best 

Sachin Singla

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Sachin,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client. Please know that we suggest you don't start any work on a project before a contract is in place so that you can have the benefits of Upwork Payment Protection. Check out the following help articles to learn more about Hourly Protection and Fixed-Price Protection.

I checked the contract I believe you're referring to and it looks like the milestone has been released and the contract is still open. Please note that once the contract is closed you and your client will have 14 days to leave feedback.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

This all stems from you using Upwork incorrectly by working without a contract.

I think you should put this behind you and you should STOP ASKING any questions about this past experience.

If you have questions about how to use Upwork properly, you should ask those questions.

AndreaG

Hi Sachin,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client. Please know that we suggest you don't start any work on a project before a contract is in place so that you can have the benefits of Upwork Payment Protection. Check out the following help articles to learn more about Hourly Protection and Fixed-Price Protection.

I checked the contract I believe you're referring to and it looks like the milestone has been released and the contract is still open. Please note that once the contract is closed you and your client will have 14 days to leave feedback.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths