🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client extorts 5% Refund for a good Feedb...
Page options
completebrains
Community Member

Client extorts 5% Refund for a good Feedback

Problem  

Client's feedback is only his personal opinion (answer from support). Agree.

But in my case it’s clear that his opinion will be based only on requested 700$ refund and not on real work during 4 months with total 15140$ earned.
It’s not fair.

Solution?  
The best way would be to close the contract by Upwork without any feedback.
Work was done, payment was received, no way to speculate on it.

Notes  
  • 700$ was recently paid by him as a bonus for a week of free work (I never asked for a bonus)
  • Based on conversation in chat I can’t believe in good feedback even after the refund
  • Few important messages are available in Upwork chat for arbitrage
  • I propossed him to close the contract almost each month (was tired of the client) if work was not satisfied. He didn't do that.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You are top rated with a 100% JSS. If the feedback does end up bad, just use your perk (if you haven't in the last 3 months and 10 contracts) and get it removed.

And then move on.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Stanislav wrote:

Problem  

Client's feedback is only his personal opinion (answer from support). Agree.

But in my case it’s clear that his opinion will be based only on requested 700$ refund and not on real work during 4 months with total 15140$ earned.

Why is the client asking for $ 700 back?

• Few important messages are available in Upwork chat for arbitrage

It's an hourly contract. There is no arbitration. Bonuses do not fall under the Upwork protection anyway.

Solution?  
The best way would be to close the contract by Upwork without any feedback.
Work was done, payment was received, no way to speculate on it.

What would that achieve? The client could still leave feedback and should be allowed to leave feedback, as should you.

Why is the client asking for $ 700 back?
He is about to close the contract (finally). Because:
He didn't like how I've done the last task. Because:
He read only the first and the last sentences of my tasks report (as always)
Actually I've done exactly what he asked, explained this again to him.
But there was no way back.

It's an hourly contract. There is no arbitration. Bonuses do not fall under the Upwork protection anyway.

Thanks, didn't know

What would that achieve? The client could still leave feedback and should be allowed to leave feedback, as should you.

I meant to disable the feedback for that contract at all since it's known already the feedback won't be fair. You think it sounds too fantastic?

Question
The good question is why did he request 700$ bonus refund instead of declining 16 tracked hours (500$) under review right now (the last problematic task)? Because former is greater? Yes, but chances to return the latter are higher.

I guess it's because my client is actually a mediator between me and the real customer. Real customer is billed based on amount of hours I've tracked. Declining 16 hours will return 500$ to the real customer while 700$ bonus refund will be returned directly into my client's pocket.

What's a cheater. But it's only an assumpition, no more. Even if true, this fact won't help in my case.

Stanislav P wrote:

I meant to disable the feedback for that contract at all since it's known already the feedback won't be fair. You think it sounds too fantastic?

That is categorically not going to happen.

Stanislav P wrote:

Declining 16 hours will return 500$ to the real customer while 700$ bonus refund will be returned directly into my client's pocket.

The client is not declining hours. The client is asking for money back for something you say you had done for free and never asked for payment for.

That is categorically not going to happen.

Sadly.

The client is not declining hours. The client is asking for money back for something you say you had done for free and never asked for payment for.

And it's strange. Because the initial pseudo-problem was exactly in that hours, not in the work I've done for free. Long time ago there was another free week with bonus 1200$ after, he didn't request refund for it too.

You are top rated with a 100% JSS. If the feedback does end up bad, just use your perk (if you haven't in the last 3 months and 10 contracts) and get it removed.

And then move on.

Petra R wrote:

And then move on.

Thanks.

I knew about that. Just hoped to find a more graceful solution.

Let's wait 1-2 days, if no better solutions is found I will accept your solution. Promise.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths