Client fired me on 3rd day, then underpaid and blocked me

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 16

Nichola L wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

. If it were me I would report the client, with all the details I could muster. 

For what? Nothing the client did was a violation of the terms of service. Being a bleep is not a violation...

I agree, and if the OP had insisted on Upwork's tracked hourly system, this wouldn't have happened. But the client knew that he could play on the OP's newness, and could dodge paying the full whack by paying the OP something, and then immediately closing the contract. So while he hasn't violated the ToS - he is sailing close to the wind and his approach is pretty unethical, and  I bet this is not the first time he has done it. 

They would have been perfectly within their rights to have paid nothing. They paid $ 200

It also sounds (from the feedback the OP left for the client) that a lot of the time may have been spent on stuff the client didn't want (and may not have asked for)

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
12 of 16

Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

. If it were me I would report the client, with all the details I could muster. 

For what? Nothing the client did was a violation of the terms of service. Being a bleep is not a violation...

I agree, and if the OP had insisted on Upwork's tracked hourly system, this wouldn't have happened. But the client knew that he could play on the OP's newness, and could dodge paying the full whack by paying the OP something, and then immediately closing the contract. So while he hasn't violated the ToS - he is sailing close to the wind and his approach is pretty unethical, and  I bet this is not the first time he has done it. 

They would have been perfectly within their rights to have paid nothing. They paid $ 200

It also sounds (from the feedback the OP left for the client) that a lot of the time may have been spent on stuff the client didn't want (and may not have asked for)

Yeah, I'm leaning toward OP was lucky to get any $. I don't think the client was trying to scam. I just think they had no patience working with a new freelancer. They failed to recognize that she couldn't do the work and she failed to walk away as soon as they mentioned using tools she wasn't familiar with. 

5db0c73d
Natasha T Member Since: May 16, 2020
13 of 16

The worst part is they left me a 2 star private rating. Since it was my first closed job, I'm worried about how that's going to affect me now. They were very clear that the main reason they hired me was for Pinterest Management (the job title was about needing a Pinterest Expert ASAP) and yet fired me for a completely unrelated task (scheduling on Buffer for Twitter and Facebook) they claimed I didn't do, that I have screenshot proof I completed. 

At least I know for the future what to expect and how to handle a situation like this. Thanks, everyone!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 16

re: "At least I know for the future what to expect..."

Fortunately most Upwork clients are ethical, professional, and generally great people.

I don't want you to think most are like this one. But it is good to be aware of the possibilities.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 16

Natasha T wrote:

The worst part is they left me a 2 star private rating. S

How do you know? Did they tell you that?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
16 of 16

Natasha T wrote:

The worst part is they left me a 2 star private rating. Since it was my first closed job, I'm worried about how that's going to affect me now. They were very clear that the main reason they hired me was for Pinterest Management (the job title was about needing a Pinterest Expert ASAP) and yet fired me for a completely unrelated task (scheduling on Buffer for Twitter and Facebook) they claimed I didn't do, that I have screenshot proof I completed. 

At least I know for the future what to expect and how to handle a situation like this. Thanks, everyone!

We call that scope creep. I agree that the client was flakey and didn't know what they wanted. You are correct OP, in the future, you'll be better able to recognize when you should run away from a bad gig. Next, you'll need to learn how to escape without getting a bad review--that's tricky. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS