🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client fixed suspended contract (payment meth...
Page options
leeannmerrill
Community Member

Client fixed suspended contract (payment method) but still hasn't paid me for backcharged hours

Hi All - for the most recent block of hours on an hourly contract, apparently the client's payment method didn't work.  The contract was suspended, and Upwork backcharged me the hours (12). The client fixed the payment method so the contract was active again, but the work was finished at that point.  He let me know the payment method had been revised so the contract was active again, but I had told him the work was finished.  I said he could pay me for the backcharged hours by paying me a bonus or allowing me to recharge the 12 hours. He said he would check with Upwork but I haven't heard anything for a week and a half and sent a reminder 2 days ago. He is not new to Upwork, has good reviews, and since this problem came up hired a $110 per hour financial consultant. As an aside, I don't have the option going forward to use the time tracker as I work on a Chromebook. I understand I may never see the money, but I'm surprised Upwork allows clients to keep hiring more freelancers on the platform while it isn't paying others. I chatted with Support and it sounds like they aren't exactly sure what should happen either.  Any advice?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Lee Ann M wrote:

Any advice?

The client should simply pay you via a bonus. Or you could add the hours as manual time if the contract is still open.

I told him these were the options - he's just not acting on it. It's been a week and a half. Meanwhile he's hiring more freelancers for other jobs.

Lee Ann M wrote:

I told him these were the options - he's just not acting on it. It's been a week and a half. 

Well, so act on it yourself and add the hours as manual time. The client can't add hours.

Ha - I think I had subconsciously blocked that option (just doing it without getting his feedback first) out of fear of bad feedback!

Lee Ann M wrote:

Ha - I think I had subconsciously blocked that option (just doing it without getting his feedback first) out of fear of bad feedback!

Ha, see, I had not even considered that possibility because I am utterly fearless.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths