cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client forgot to approve milestone before closing project. How to fix it?

fidel_karyj
Ace Contributor
Ivan F Member Since: Nov 23, 2016
1 of 8

Client forgot to approve milestone before closing project. How to fix it? Couldn't find any answer.

Also I have noticed that many clients have no idea how to close projects, submit milestones etc - I have to walk them through and look for answers on forum. Isn't this Upwork's job to teach them how to use it?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 8

Hi Ivan,

If the Milestone was funded, you should have received a notification and a refund request once the contract was closed. Have you responded to the request yet?

Thanks for helping your clients complete the necessary steps related to your contracts. We do offer a wealth of information in our in-product guides, notifications, pop-up messages, blog, Help Center, Hiring Headquarters, videos, tutorials, Community Client forum etc, but won't require clients to go through these resources as a prerequisite before using their account. 

Untitled
fidel_karyj
Ace Contributor
3 of 8

No, I haven't clicked the refund button. And I guess many clients aren't to interested in knowing how the system works.

fidel_karyj
Ace Contributor
4 of 8

I guess she didn't fund the second milestone, how is she supposed to do it now when the contract is closed? It's a first time I haev situation like this

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
5 of 8

Ivan F: I guess she didn't fund the second milestone, how is she supposed to do it now when the contract is closed?

So you did the second part of the job with the assumption you had a 2nd milestone funded? If you have already submitted the work, you may not have any recourse. Upwork is able to help when there's money in Escrow. 

At this point, you can only reach out to the client, hoping it was an oversight on her part (the same way it was on your side), and pray she does the right thing.

She can raise another contract and pay you the outstanding amount without you doing any more work. But that is in case she concurs with you that she owes you. 

fidel_karyj
Ace Contributor
6 of 8

Yeah! I guess I overlooked it.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

If the client wants to pay the freelancer AFTER closing the contract, it is NOT necessary to open a new contract. The client can use the Pay Bonus tool to pay a freelancer even after a contract has been closed.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Ivan, 

You can ask your client to issue a bonus on the closed contract for the remaining amount. Note that bonus payments aren't covered by Upwork Payment Protection. Going forward, make sure a Milestone is fully funded before you start working on it.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS