🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client found me on upwork but wants to hire m...
Page options
loren_witt
Community Member

Client found me on upwork but wants to hire me outside of upwork through their company

Client found me on upwork but wants to hire me outside of upwork through their company. I am new to Upwork but I believe this is against policy, right? I absolutely do not want to break the rules! Can someone confirm this is against poilcy? Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
a_lipsey
Community Member

Loren W wrote:

Client found me on upwork but wants to hire me outside of upwork through their company. I am new to Upwork but I believe this is against policy, right? I absolutely do not want to break the rules! Can someone confirm this is against poilcy? Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks. 

Yes, it is against the rules. If they want to hire you as an employee rather than a freelancer, they will need to go through Upwork Payroll services. 

If you're a brand new freelancer and you live in the U.S., you'll be targeted by scammers, so this might not even be a legit client. Scammers will always try to get you to work outside of Upwork, and some will even lie and say that they paid an opt-out fee. Tell the client that you can only be hired via Upwork. If they refuse or stop communicating with you, report them.

I agree.

There are only two paths forward for the client.

The client hires you using a valid Upwork contract.

If the client doesn't do that, then you report the client. Use the "Flag as inappropriate" link in the top right hand corner of the job posting page.

JoanneP

Hi Loren,

Could you please share more information about this via PM? You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members