cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client from hell - extremely serious - need help on how to proceed, please!! - Pt. 1

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
23 of 37

@Benjamin H wrote:

Every client is different and every project is different and I embrace the diversity.  It helps fuel my passion for development.  But this lawyer (yep, he is an actual lawyer) has jaded me just a little bit. 

DON'T let it jade you.

It's a numbers game, and sooner or later, if we deal with enough clients, we will meet a **use your imagination** of a client.

Just ride the storm. It will hone your client management skills and sharpen your instincts.

It'll suck for a while, but as my wonderful granny used to say (in German, obviously):

"This too, will pass!"

Keep us up-to-date on what happens, don't get dragged into the client's game.

You will, if your account of what happened is accurate, be fine.

And the next client will be great again and soon all this will be one of those "Oh, I once had this **use your imagination** of a client" stories.

One step and one day at a time. Keep breathing. This too, will pass!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Benjamin H Member Since: Mar 12, 2015
22 of 37

Gerry,

While I'm not taking umbrage to your reply, you need to keep in mind that this is a snippet of conversation.

Here's what you didn't see:

• An ERD
  • Plenty of Wireframes
  • a 4 page proposal
  • screenshots of the work in progress - with annotations and explanations
  • (2) screen sharing sessions over a two week period of said progress

I typically, under no circumstances, will release a "beta" before a beta is ready.  That being said, I usually grant no admin rights to the backend until a project is done and paid for.  This is a pretty common best practice and it has served me well.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Anil K Member Since: Dec 16, 2015
23 of 37

Just contact the Customer care and share the screenshot where he is trying to blackmail you.

-- in exchange for this refund, I will agree to 1) not post negative feedback on Upwork for the project; 2) not file a dispute with Upwork; 3) not report a theft to my credit card company, and 4) release all rights to pursue legal action on this dispute and to file a lien on future payments made to you thru Upwork.

There is no case of refund as he had reviewed the work and approved the payment. Wait and see what Upwork Customer Care have to say about the whole issue.

Update us here once you get some answers from Customer Care.

Uplift Upwork Visual Style : Add-on
Link Removed
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
24 of 37

https://www.goamplify.com/tools-and-maintenance/debit-fraud-and-disputes.aspx

A transaction is considered fraudulent only when you have no knowledge of who used your card and you can state with certainty that you were not aware of the transaction. You will be required to sign an affidavit stating that you have no knowledge of who completed the transaction(s) in question. If you intentionally file a false or unsubstantiated fraud claim, you may be charged a fee.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
25 of 37

I agree with Tiffany that this type of lawyer is likely to attempt to escalate if challenged. However, should you find yourself in that situation, inform the attorney that you have retained copies of his email and will fill a complaint with his state's attorney disciplinary commission. The commission is usually managed by the state Supreme Court's Clerk of Courts. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
26 of 37

re: "I typically, under no circumstances, will release a "beta" before a beta is ready.  That being said, I usually grant no admin rights to the backend until a project is done and paid for.  This is a pretty common best practice and it has served me well."

I provide clients with full admin credentials to the whole project before I begin, and they have continual access to all source code files and all other files during the entire process.

Their access to files is immediate and continuous and is not related to payment.

I do this for both fixed-price and hourly contract projects.

So not everybody does things the way you do.

Highlighted
Kristen P Member Since: Jul 9, 2016
27 of 37

This sounds JUST like a client I recently dealt with - can't help but wonder if it is the same person. Even using the word "foolish." Posted screen-grab to show you similarities.

Client ALSO paused my contract bc I wasn't responding "fast enough." After which, he demanded that I give him a refund for money he already paid and delete the review that I left on his page (which was professional & honest, btw).

The attached image is just one of MANY where he accuses me of slandering his good name and trying to steal $30 from him that I worked for, and that he had already paid me for. Horrible experience.

:-/

*edited to turn two posts into one.

** jk, apparently I cant delete other posts to turn my two posts into one.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Kristen P Member Since: Jul 9, 2016
28 of 37

Also, just FYI: this client not only threatened me with legal action re: "slander" but also tried to accuse me of "fraud" bc I wouldn't refund him the money that he APPROVED for me to be paid. Per Upwork policies, I know it's up to the freelancer to refund once the period to file a dispute is over. In this case, it was.

He subsequently got so frustrated that I wouldn't give in to his requests, that he started sending messages, deleting them and then upon me asking him to elaborate on said messages, he pretended that he had no clue what I was speaking of. Thankfully, I screen grabbed most of them before he could delete.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
29 of 37

You told the client you were not taking new work, totally devoted to the project, but then when he asks for a call to clear up things you’re not available? Client has to wait, and this after billing 58 hours. Did you not have 30 minutes of your time for this? ..

"Ideally, I'd like to get it done quicker for you, but I've got several projects that I'm working on at the moment."

Not a smart thing to say, basically telling the client he has to wait as you have other more important projects.

In my opinion you did several things that annoyed the client, and could have been avoided.

I hope it ends well for both.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
30 of 37

If we stick to facts: the fact is you are doing "something" for about a month and can't provide the client any results. You are just repeating "I can not provide betta", "I will not provide betta". You SHOULD deliver something! May be login page is working, may be some other pages also working... But on every request you are just saying "see you next week" and "it is 85% completed". And when you are asked for a phone call you say you are not available. Be I your client I would worry too.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS