🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client funded half a job for four posts. Fina...
Page options
sherlock26
Community Member

Client funded half a job for four posts. Final funding occurs on completion of job.

On a blog post job, for four posts, at a total of $200, he only funded for half the project, which is equal to 2 posts at $50 each. I was not aware that a client could do that but it went through.

While he was happy with the first two I created, and they are posted on the website, he hasn't been happy with the third post offered. I replaced it last night but he is saying don't worry about the deadline. Today is the deadline and I could make it by submiting another post, but he is holding off.

I feel like I am in limbo and this could stretch out for years. Since when does anyone fund half a project?! And if I can't complete the project because of problems the client is having, then what do I do?

I never miss a deadline. In effect, I have submitted four posts, but replaced one. I will never accept a job again that is not fully funded.

Help! How can I handle this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The complaint about the third post was just a way to make you deliver the fourth one too, without pay. All you can do now is tell them to fund the rest of the project before you do any other modifications.

But don't forget to submit the proof of work through the platform and click the button to ask for the funded part in escrow to be released to you.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

This is NOT compllicated.

If a client funds $200 in escrow, then it means you do $200 worth of work.

Here is how it works:
- client funds a task

- freelancer does the task and submits it

- client releases payment for that task

Clients are not obligated to pay for unfunded work. And freelancers are not obligated to work on unfunded milestones.

So, even though I have submitted four posts, he can choose not to pay?

Jennifer H wrote:

So, even though I have submitted four posts, he can choose not to pay?

If you submitted work against a milestone that was not fully funded then, yes, the client can choose not to pay. The purpose of escrow is to ensure the client has the funds and has committed to paying for the specified work. Do yourself a favor and spend the time to get thoroughly familiar with how contracts and payments work here. 

The complaint about the third post was just a way to make you deliver the fourth one too, without pay. All you can do now is tell them to fund the rest of the project before you do any other modifications.

But don't forget to submit the proof of work through the platform and click the button to ask for the funded part in escrow to be released to you.

Hi Andrei,

Yes, I went ahead and submitted the work I have done. There are four different posts. The contract does not state the client has to be happy before funding the rest of it. It just says that I must complete the project by today, September 25th, to have the last part funded. I just officially re-submitted everything and that he is now required to fund the last part.

He does tell me to not worry about meeting the deadline in his last message, which sent the red flag up and that we would talk before doing the next one. That would have made me miss my deadline. I never miss my deadlines. That's why I officially resubmitted it. We will see what happens.

If he does not fund the last part, then I hope UpWork bans him from ever coming back. I have the links to the first two posts published that I did and the dated original Word copies that back up that these are my stories. All written work is copyrighted to the author (me) until paid by the client. 

Andrei is right that you were scammed into providing 3 and 4 for free. The page where you accept a contract shows the amount in escrow, so next time you know to check and make them fund the whole thing (well, or just do 2 in this case)

Hi Jennifer,

First time for it, unfortunately. I didn't know if that was a thing where clients only fund half of it. For my outside clients, they always do a down-payment of half of the full fee, then pay at completion. Never had a problem. It's relatively standard in our industry to do it that way.

We'll see what happens. Good lesson learned. I will get $100 now at the very least. He can contest it all he wants. The messages show the facts.

I will be watching his website to see if he uses the other two posts. 

Thanks to all who sent me feedback. I appreciate it.

Best,

Jennifer H.

tlbp
Community Member

Upwork is unlikely to do anything regarding unfunded milestones and client acceptance of the work is implied. Otherwise, freelancers could just submit a page of random words and demand payment. Do a quick search of the forums using the terms "milestone" and "funded." That should help you figure out how things work. Upwork also has help sections about starting contracts and how to get paid that should be helpful. And, of course, the TOS and other materials will govern when you are entitled to payment and the details of disputing non-payment. 

Hi to all who supported/informed me on this issue,

I just got a message back from the client today and he released the funds on the first part and funded the second part. He was very nice about it, for which I am thankful. The last post I sent him the other day to meet the deadline is a success, too, and it is posted.

Needless to say, I am happy that the client followed through! 

It is a lesson learned. Thanks for the support, everyone!

Best,

Jennifer H.

Jennifer H wrote:

Hi to all who supported/informed me on this issue,

I just got a message back from the client today and he released the funds on the first part and funded the second part. He was very nice about it, for which I am thankful. The last post I sent him the other day to meet the deadline is a success, too, and it is posted.

Needless to say, I am happy that the client followed through! 

It is a lesson learned. Thanks for the support, everyone!

Best,

Jennifer H.

That is good news! Usually these stories end differently. But now you know what to watch out for next time. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths