🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client gave 5 star in public review but gave ...
Page options
jitendra1981995
Community Member

Client gave 5 star in public review but gave 0 in private review/recommendation

One of my client gave me full 5 star in public review but gave a 0 in private recommendation. Which contributes to a decrease from 90 to 79 in JSS. Any Upwork community member can justify this? Can i do something about it? Upwork should look into these kind of issue and make sure that public and private review dont differe much. May be mapping
5 :glowing_star: -> 8, 9, 10
4 :glowing_star: -> 7, 6
3 :glowing_star: -> 5, 4
An so on.
13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Jitendra P wrote:
One of my client gave me full 5 star in public review but gave a 0 in private recommendation.

How do you know that?

Jitendra P wrote:
 Can i do something about it? 

No

On Feb 2 my JSS was updated 2 weeks , during period of 2 weeks i have only closed 2 projects one gave 5 :glowing_star: and one gave 4 :glowing_star: but both gave 0 in private review. Its a simple calculation as my client recommendation dropped to 60%.
tlbp
Community Member

What if Upwork decided to convert the 5-star review to a 1-star review so it matched the private feedback? Would that be an acceptable solution? 

Why would upwork do that. What I'm trying to say is there should be a limit how you can give reviews. One side you appreciate the freelancer on the other hand you give 0 in private review. Is this kind of review system fair to you?

Jitendra P wrote:
One side you appreciate the freelancer on the other hand you give 0 in private review.

They don't "appreciate" the freelancer. They are just trying to be kind and not leave 1 star feedback on your profile. Also, many clients have dealt with freelancers who went ballistic after getting less than 5 stars, and such clients simply don't want the hassle.

It is also impossible to give 0 starts or a 0 private feedback.

Funny how you are more upset about the system than about the fact that the contracts went sideways.

Maybe concentrate more on how to make sure your contracts end successfully than how clients are allowed to express their feelings about how it went.

The main reason Upwork allows this is to prevent freelancers from knowing that the client has given them bad feedback. If they knew, they could attack the client in several ways.

I do think some protections should be in place, though. For example: if a client hires the same freelancer a second time, then any private feedback that is counted negatively in the JSS (for the first encounter) should be removed. Although feedback is indicative of success, money is a bigger indicator. If a client is spending money on a freelancer multiple times then I don't think their feedback should be counted negatively in any way (except for the most recent one).

But after all these tricks by upwork, i know who gave me bad reviews. In these kind of issues upwork should come and resolve the issue as this is injustice to the freelancer. Also the security of clients is not upwork's responsibility. In the name of security, Freelancers like me surfers, if i can share our upwork conversation here, i can prove that there was nothing wrong between us, but still just for fun he gave me a 0 in recommendation.

Jitendra P wrote:
 but still just for fun he gave me a 0 in recommendation.

For fun?

What would be the "fun" in that?

And again, there is no such thing as a 0

Only client knows about this "fun". All i know is served him well and in return i got bad private rating.
Okay so maybe he could have given me whatever is minimum.

Most clients don't do that for fun. If I loved working with a freelancer, I enthusiastically give them a 10 — not because I know they need it, but because I really, really want to. If I had an average experience, I give them a 7 or an 8, and if they mess something up, I give them a 0. I expect other clients to do the same for me. If I do something wrong, if I miss a deadline, if I do anything less than exactly what I promised to do — I would expect a 0. You should too, and thus, you should perfect your craft. Be excellent at everything you endeavour to do on this platform.

simonaci
Community Member

customer: hey! Fantastic! Exceptional! I'm really satisfied. would you make me more illustrations? half price? come on, quick jobs!
freelance: I did this at a price I would never have done out of here. I'm really sorry, but I can't work for free.
here is another reason for negative private voting

😂😂 but none of these cases matches with mine. Mine is just straight forward.
Client: looking for a developer for long term. Here is a demo project for $10 to test your skills.
Me: fine..... Task completed.
Client: sorry but out of few person we have been interviewing you finished at 2nd place. So we will be going forward with someone else.
Me: no issue.

Rating: public rating:5 :glowing_star:
private rating: 0

Clients (at least the normal ones) usually don't want somebody to serve them but to work with them. 

There is a difference.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members