🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client ghosted with job half done
Page options
monicastark
Community Member

Client ghosted with job half done

Hi there. I have a client for whom I was designing a logo. I sent them a pdf of seven logo concepts and possible badge/patch designs that could be made with each of those logo concepts. It was a considerable amount of work. They responded that they loved them all, and couldn't decide between two - how would they be able to get two of the designs? I responded right away to let them know how much extra it would cost for me to finalize two logo designs instead of one, and it was a very reasonable amount. Problem is, that's when they ghosted me. It's been over a week since then and despite messaging them twice to see where they're at with the job, they have not responded to me.

I'm afraid that I'm going to be unpaid for the couple of long days of work I put into their concepts. Then they have seven strong concepts  (that they got for free!) that they can take to someone who works for less and have them do the easy work of just vectorizing from the pdf I gave them. I know that if I had gone hourly then my hours would have been guaranteed, but with logo design I'd rather a fixed rate, because a lot of time is spent on paper with pencil and I never know how long the conceptualizing process will take.

My lesson from this is that from now on I set milestones, and the concept presentation will be a paid milestone, so no matter what, I will get paid for the concepts I worked on to present.

In the meantime, is there anything further I can do? The concepts I provided are still my copyright, right?  

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Monica S wrote:

I'm afraid that I'm going to be unpaid for the couple of long days of work I put into their concepts. Then they have seven strong concepts  (that they got for free!)  

Why? If the client doesn't re-appear in a month of so, request payment and edit it to an amount you consider fair for the work you've done so far. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths