🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client give bad review on "Cooperation" even ...
Page options
alexandrayz
Community Member

Client give bad review on "Cooperation" even I was very cooperative.

This client rate the "cooperation" section as 4.00/5.00. 

However, I had been continuous asked the client if she still needed anything else, or she wanted anything improved to the file every single time I talked to her and submitted a revised file. I was trying to provide help as much as possible to increase client satisfaction.

There were only two submissions before she ended the contract. The first submission was like a first draft. After she reviewed, she asked me to revise. However, she DID NOT specifically tell me what to revise or gave any specific information or direction regarding what to improve in the documents. She said she had done some of the revision inside the file. So I opened the file and saw that all she revised was some very small changes. Therefore, to be professional and be responsible, I made the similar change that she made to other areas, and also polished and corrected the grammar as much as possible, even it was 2 hours before her deadline, which was 10 pm in the evening on Friday. And yes, when I finally submitted the file to ask for a payment, I still asked her to let me know if she needs anything improved. Then she ghosted ever since, and jumped to the end and left me the low review.

I revised all of the character choices immediately every time after she requested a change during the revision.

I did everything that the client asked, and I was responding quickly and willing to help her as much as possible. I don't think the quality or the capability of a freelance should affect the client's judgment upon whether a freelancer is willing to cooperate or not. I strongly argue that the client was not being responsible while she was rating my overall performance.

I was being supportive, replied on time, kept following up, worked until late since she needed the file in urgent, and I stayed up late for her even it was a Friday night. I would say this is an act of being cooperative, responsible, supportive, and client-focused. I believe that these qualities are what the clients are looking for, and also the reason why Upwork exist. I have been trying to maintain my professional image very hard. 

I totally understand some clients may have a higher standard, and I have no problem that this client is not very satisfied with my work itself at the end. However, the client should not be giving a bad review on my 'cooperation' section, because I am confident that I have been supportive and cooperative ever since I started working during the contract.

Is there anything I can do?

7 REPLIES 7
sudesh77
Community Member

Hi, Yan

Sorry to hear that. 

Here is what you can do:

1. First, go to your contract page and choose "TERMS & SETTINGS"

Click on the "Enable client to change feedback" and then select "Allow"

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Now contact again to your client and request him politely to change the feedback. Try to convince him but don't beg.

2. If your client is really cruel and doesn't want to change the feedback then there is only one thing that you can do.

On the same page, you will get an option "Respond to this feedback". Click on that.

Write a reason and tell why the client gave you this feedback. Remember this will be publically available, ie. people will be able to see it on the same feedback that you got by your client. 

This will help other clients to understand that it was not your fault but the client was not good. This will not help to recover your job success rate but will help you to build trust with other clients. (You can increase your job success score by completing more projects)

Sudesh K wrote:

Hi, Yan

Sorry to hear that. 

Here is what you can do:

Now contact again to your client and request him politely to change the feedback. Try to convince him but don't beg.

2. If your client is really cruel and doesn't want to change the feedback then there is only one thing that you can do.

On the same page, you will get an option "Respond to this feedback". Click on that.

Write a reason and tell why the client gave you this feedback. Remember this will be publically available, ie. people will be able to see it on the same feedback that you got by your client. 

This will help other clients to understand that it was not your fault but the client was not good. This will not help to recover your job success rate but will help you to build trust with other clients. (You can increase your job success score by completing more projects)

Yan, do NOTHING of what is suggested here.

1. Why would the client change the feedback just because you want him too? He might give even worse feedback because he doesn't want to be pressured.

2. NEVER respond to feedback you don't like. It looks petty and small and scares away potential clients. 

3. Your learning here is that, yes, sometimes we feel treated unfairly by a client, of life in general. Stay professional at all times, move on. 

Yan, I agree with Martina. You probably should have received a 5 for cooperation. However, requesting the client to change feedback will most likely backfire and you will get a lower rating than you have now. The only time I would ask a client to change their feedback is when the client asks you for permission to change their feedback because they made a mistake. Finally, the client gave you a mix of 4 and 5 stars, and that’s not worth the risk of getting really bad feedback, like all 3’s.

Sudesh K wrote:

Hi, Yan

Sorry to hear that. 

Here is what you can do:

This is bad advice, but I'm sure you mean well.

I am less tolerant regarding your profile. It's ok to not be an English native speaker. Claiming to be one, while clearly not delivering on this promise, is not a good strategy, that will end in tears. Your portfolio pieces are riddled with mistakes and lack concept. The only way to success on upwork is excellence, and a writer's profile must be flawless in every way.

michael_skaggs
Community Member

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do. It happens from time to time.

I had one myself recently. The client came to me for a project, we discussed what they wanted, the rate, etc. During that phase I made it clear that if they wanted any changes to what I delivered, all they had to do was ask, and I'd make sure it was taken care of. And also let them know that if they didn't need any changes, all they had to do was release the escrow and I'd consider everything finished.

The client tells me that all sounds great, they fund the escrow, and send me what I need for my part.

So I get started, I'm finished within two hours of accepting the contract, and deliver the final product. They quickly release the payment and close the contract. Things went smoothly, so I give them 5's across the board.

Then I look at my own feedback... a 3 for both Skills and Cooperation, and 4's for everything else. Despite us both being on the same page that if there was anything they didn't like, all they had to do was tell me and I would fix it.

I even tried to contact them and (politely) figure out what exactly it was they didn't like and what I could do better next time (not even hinting at asking them to change their feedback. No response whatsoever.

The bottom line is, some people are just impossible to please no matter what you do, despite everything you discussed. They pay because they're contractually obligated by getting what they requested, but that's all they care about. Sadly, that's out of your hands. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feedback ratings are just the client's opinion, and they're entitled to their opinion... even if it's wrong!

In addition to everything that has already been said, 4 out of 5 is not "bad feedback!!"

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members