🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client gone AWOL.. payment in escrow - wh...
Page options
clarekamala108
Community Member

Client gone AWOL.. payment in escrow - what next?!

Hi lovely Upwork community,

I have a silent client suddenly..

It was all going great, I submitted work for payment before the agreed milestone deadline.

The final deadline has now passed and 50% of the payment is in escrow.. 

I have messaged the client but not heard back. I'm sure this isn't 'about me' and she has stuff happening - but how do I at least claim the 50% in escrow?

What have you done when the client goes silent?! I'm fairly new here so still getting used to the process.

Thanks in advance!

Clare 

5 REPLIES 5
moonraker
Community Member

If a milestone was set-up, you will be paid automatically 14 days after you submit the work for payment (unless the client objects). 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

...and don't use the "Submit" button more than once for each milestone. Each time you use that button it resets the automatic 14-day payment period.

bevcam
Community Member

Hope you only submitted 50% of the work. Don't accept projects that aren't funded (per agreed milestones) and don't submit more than the funded milestone - even if you've done all the work. You can submit the rest once the next milestone is funded.

Hopefully, she comes back to you and you get the full amount agreed to. You will at least get the 50% as Jamie said.

stefaniaforbes
Community Member

I've experienced this a few times as well. Luckily, as the others mentioned, if you submit your milestone, then wait 14 days, it gets automatically approved. As a courtesy, I reach out to the client a couple of times in between to remind them of the milestone, and sometimes they pop their head up again. 

Good luck - and I find it is not a reflection of the work that you did - it is about the client and where they are at. 

re: "As a courtesy, I reach out to the client a couple of times in between to remind them of the milestone, and sometimes they pop their head up again."

The Submit Work button automatically provides all the notification that is necessary.

I don't send other messages.

Just Submit, and then wait.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members