Client gone AWOL...

Hey guys, I would love your advice on this.

So I completed a project for a client.

It was fixed price and 2 weeks after my rough draft was sent in, I was automatically paid.

A week later I sent in the final copy and I've not heard word back from him.

I have sent 2 messages, 1-2 weeks apart asking him for feedback on the draft...but still no answer. At times, I "see" him online but when I become visible, he goes offline. In total, it has been almost a month since I've gotten any response from him.

Can I close this contract?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Toyin, if the client closes the contract, he has to give you feedback, but if you close it, he could choose not to give you feedback, which  could (but not necessarily) impact your JSS. It really depends what the client chooses to say behind your back. I would leave the contract open for a while and then close it.

Your client could just suddenly have got ultra busy or sick or something - we are all human, though I forget that sometimes! 

(PS I remember when you started - you have done amazingly well -  big bravo!)

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
nemes

"Can I close this contract?"

Yes. If Escrow was funded for the second milestone, then you will be get paid automatically in 2 weeks. If it wasn't, then just say good bye to your money and try to learn the lesson.

Furthermore, you should urgently report this client - and don't forget to leave a honest review about your experience!

@Zoltán N wrote:

"Can I close this contract?"

Yes. If Escrow was funded for the second milestone, then you will be get paid automatically in 2 weeks. If it wasn't, then just say good bye to your money and try to learn the lesson.

Furthermore, you should urgently report this client - and don't forget to leave a honest review about your experience!

What's up with you giving the "bird" to all your customers Zoltan. That's very disrespectful but I guess you think it's funny to flip people off. I'm surprised they have not made you change that picture.

He should only close the contract after having some "good" feedback to balance the penalty he'll get hit with for closing it himself.

Thanks for the repsonse but a bit of clairification.

I'm actually a she... but that's neither here nor there

2) I've gotten paid. Upwork automatically sent out the money 2 weeks after I submitted the rough draft  but my client hasn't given me feedback about the work I did. As in, did you like the project, is there anything you would like for me to fix? etc Maybe it's good enough as is?

LOL Jean...
"Evil to him who evil thinks"  - Have a closer look at this picture please: I just hold my drawing pen between my fingers. Though, I am pretty happy with your peculiar interpretation as well. Smiley Wink

@Zoltán N wrote:

LOL Jean...
"Evil to him who evil thinks"  - Have a closer look at this picture please: I just hold my drawing pen between my fingers. Though, I am pretty happy with your peculiar interpretation as well. Smiley Wink

I expanded your pic, and I'm not seeing any pen there... lol.  

hand.jpg

Oh please, ladies! :))

Jean, what penalty?

Ok, he has a pen.

Still waiting on some advice here...

Toyin, if the client closes the contract, he has to give you feedback, but if you close it, he could choose not to give you feedback, which  could (but not necessarily) impact your JSS. It really depends what the client chooses to say behind your back. I would leave the contract open for a while and then close it.

Your client could just suddenly have got ultra busy or sick or something - we are all human, though I forget that sometimes! 

(PS I remember when you started - you have done amazingly well -  big bravo!)

Nichola,

Thank you so much for this wise piece of advice; I will wait a bit longer.  I also appreciate your encouragement, it means a lot!

Sorry if I got it wrong, but how is it fair to punish a freelancer with JSS drop if the client is missing for months without any contact?

@Ivo K wrote:

Sorry if I got it wrong, but how is it fair to punish a freelancer with JSS drop if the client is missing for months without any contact?

It wouldn't be "fair" but "fair" doesn't come into it and your JSS does not drop when a contract goes inactive provided some money was at some point paid on it and you don't have a significantly high percentage of such contracts.

Look at your own profile: several long term inactive contracts + 100% JSS...

That makes sense.
I never use fixed priced contracts, all mine are hourly. I have got several
of them that are AWOL for quite some time. We worked, but at one point the
just stopped responding. What would your advice be, have them inactive as
they are or break the contract?

@Ivo K wrote:
That makes sense.
I never use fixed priced contracts, all mine are hourly. I have got several
of them that are AWOL for quite some time. We worked, but at one point the
just stopped responding. What would your advice be, have them inactive as
they are or break the contract?

If you want to reduce them close them one at a time, starting with the oldest, and allow acouple of successfully closed contracts in between. Maybe write a message (ONE!)  to the clients thanking them for the work and asking them to close the contract if there isn't anything else.

Don't close them all at once so there isn't a big chunk of "No feedback" contracts at the top of your history.

Ivo,

There is not a fair unswer for the drop in the JSS. If you search in the forum, the JSS is a problem in Upwork. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

There is an unfair system ion Upwork. They punish always the freelancer and benefit clients. If a client doesn´t leave a feedback or disappeara a long time, or post jobs and doesn´t hire...etc, you will be punished with a lower Profile /JSS and not the client. 

@Debora F wrote:
If a client doesn´t leave a feedback or disappeara a long time, or post jobs and doesn´t hire...etc, you will be punished with a lower Profile /JSS and not the client.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ivo obviously doesn't feel "punished" considering he is top rated with a 100% JSS  (despite numerous long term idle and no feedback contracts)

Provided money has at some point been paid, jobs that go idle and / or end without feedback don't affect the JSS at all as long as the freelancer does not have a high percentage of such contracts.

Clients not hiring obviously doesn't affect the JSS at all, that's just a ridiculous statement, even considering the source.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**