🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client got less amount on refund than he put ...
Page options
ee543627
Community Member

Client got less amount on refund than he put in the escrow on fixed price offer

I recently recieved a fixed price offer after discussing the price and terms with the client. But he mistakenly put half the price in the offer thinking it'll be as and upfront fee but he did not know that the money remains in escrow, so I asked him to amend the offer on previously agreed price. He said he's new to Upwork and is not able to do it by himself and asked me to do the changes. But a freelancer cannot propose changes to a fixed price contract before accepting the offer, so I told him that. I gave him a solution to this hurdle saying, I'll decline his current offer and after getting his refund from the escrow, he can send me the new contract with our original discussed price. He said ok! Next day he texts me back and says, he got a $100 less from the refund and I cost both of us that money.

I need to know whether Upwork subtracts any service fees and then refunds back the money to the client or he's just trying to blame me for no reason? Or am I at fault here in any way?

3 REPLIES 3
AndreaG

Hi Niranjay,

I can confirm that if a contract has not yet started and an offer is withdrawn, rejected, or expired, any funds deposited into escrow will be refunded. Please let your client know that refunds can take up to five business days to be credited to their payment method.

If there are still any issues or questions on your client's part, please know that we're unable to discuss any details of their account with you because of privacy reasons. They can reach out to us directly and we'll be happy to help! A quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

~Andrea
Upwork
ee543627
Community Member

Yes that's true that the money gets refunded back to the client. I need to know whether they get the entire amount that they put into the escrow or just the amount that gets subtracted after cutting the service fees (if there are any).

For eg., A client puts $1000 into an escrow and the Freelancer declines that offer. Then will the client get his $1000 back or there are any service fees or any other fees that get subtracted from the original amount like $1000-$100 and they receive only $900?

Thanks!

Hi Niranjay,

As confirmed by Andrea earlier, if a contract has not yet started and an offer is withdrawn, rejected, or expired, any funds deposited into escrow will be refunded. This means that the funds deposited in Escrow will be returned to the client. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths