🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client had 2.5 rating but I took the Job, Now...
Page options
booklord
Community Member

Client had 2.5 rating but I took the Job, Now I regret taking it.

Hello, I started out on the platform over two years ago and I had been on and off with no jobs to my name (on Upwork). Meanwhile, I am experienced in my field before I registered. My issue was sending hundreds of applications on Upwork but not landing a client. I decided to take it a little bit more seriously. Paying attention to detail. One of the pieces of advice, I saw was to apply for little jobs in order to move from that to big jobs.

Soon I landed a job in which the client had a 2.5-star rating, I was surprised by that because I hardly see clients having that low rating. But I was too determined to get my first job and I accepted it. Now communication has been a key issue, with the client disagreeing on a lot of issues that are not her specialty. While I have tried to explain to her.

1. What could not be done (She ignores)
  2. What they did do wrong and need to fix in the UI before it can be developed (She claims I do not want to work and ignores what I say)
  3. She claims the whole project budget is $50 dollars, she divided the project into four milestones, and only funded, milestone 1 with 15 dollars. She refuses to fund other milestones and she wants me to proceed with them. meanwhile, she is bringing up revisions for milestone one claiming it's not complete (I don't have an issue with this but at least let's fix it and move on with the milestone before I jump on other milestones).

I regret taking on this job and this lack of professionalism and apt communication is disheartening (but what did I expect from the 2.5 rating). I also own a client account and would never act in this sort of way.

Any advice? thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes. Unpaid milestones will be auto refunded. Contract will be closed with $0 balance (full refund). No public feedbacks possible for $0 contracts. After that client able to leave private feedback but not must.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
spectralua
Community Member

Easy way: close contract yourself asap with full refund. No client's action needed.

Hard way: agree with client that you unable to fit needs, take payment for job already done, end it at current stage.

Masochistic way: finish works as client want, with 100s of revisions. Maybe this teach you for future.

So here is 3 ways, your choice. Good luck.

The issue I have here is the client lacks prompt communication. Replies late and then comes at a bitter time to say this or that needs to be done in no time. Perhaps it's better if I close the contract.

I do not want to risk a bad review (which I think they would give). I do website designs and I have already done two pages. 

Is it right they refused to fund other milestones and I am asked to work on them?

Client able to set milestones. You able to accept it or reject. It is agreement before contract started. You have accepted so you agree.

Within rules you must finish 1st milestone, get money, then start work for 2nd after it will be prefunded\active. Never work for non-prefunded milestone, possible you wont be paid for.

There are four milestones. Only one was funded. I am being asked to proceed with other milestones.

Nevertheless, I will cancel the contract. Are there any negatives to this?

With full refund you will receive negative private feedback (noone will see it). Or receive no feedback, client can ignore feedback leaving if you close contract yourself. Private feedback will be used at your JSS calculation in future.

I have not been paid for any milestone.

I am closing the job without any need for a refund. Do what you say still apply?

Yes. Unpaid milestones will be auto refunded. Contract will be closed with $0 balance (full refund). No public feedbacks possible for $0 contracts. After that client able to leave private feedback but not must.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members