Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client has asked me to work outside of UW

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Bev C Member Since: Jan 2, 2018
1 of 11

Hello UW moderators

I responded to an ad and after a brief UW interaction, I've been communicating with (what appears to be) a very well known international company by email.

They sent me extensive company details and asked if I want to chat with one of their partners. I didn't think a chat was necessary at this stage seeing as there was no offer pending.

I  received an outline of the work they wanted to be done (by email) and they asked me what my delivery timeline would be.  I gave them an outline.

Today I received an email saying that they want to offer the longterm job to me, but they want it to be done outside of UW and instead, I must send them a monthly invoice for payment.

Obviously, I said that I'm not willing to do that and everything must come through UW.  It could also be a scam because they have no history of previous contracts. Put me off completely so I'm no longer interested in their job.

I know I must report this. Is there an UW email I can send our correspondence to?

Many thanks! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
2 of 11

Bev C wrote:

Hello UW moderators

Today I received an email saying that they want to offer the longterm job to me, but they want it to be done outside of UW and instead, I must send them a monthly invoice for payment.

I know I must report this. Is there an UW email I can send our correspondence to?

Many thanks! 

Just flag the job postScreenshot 2019-01-31 09.04.39.png

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
BEST ANSWER
3 of 11

Thank you for reporting this Bev,

Please send me a PM with the details and the evidence and I will escalate it to our team to investigate it further.

Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 11

Thanks Goran. I've sent the details to you.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 11

Hi again UW moderators

On Jan 31st  I posted that a client had asked me on direct email if I would do work outside of UW.

I declined and sent the email paper trail to Goran by DM per his request because there was no proof on UW messaging, so flagging the job post would be of no value.

The following day I received a message from UW that the job had been removed and my 2 credits were returned.

This morning I have a direct email from the client again as well as an UW offer for the job. On the UW offer screen it states that the payment method is verified, but I can't find the actual job posting (UW said last week it had been removed). 

If asking me to work outside of UW  was a genuine mistake by the client then I don't mind working for them, but at this stage, I'm a bit dubious about accepting the offer. I also don't have time to waste if there's anything skanky about them.

The 2 credits that were returned by UW haven't been deducted again. Was their job post reinstated?

Please give me some guidance here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 11

re: "I responded to an ad and after a brief UW interaction, I've been communicating with (what appears to be) a very well known international company by email. They sent me extensive company details and asked if I want to chat with one of their partners."

These people are just scammers. They tricked you.

They fed you some information, like a company name, and you googled the name, didn't you?

The scammers copy names of companies and employees from websites and feed these names to newbies.

That's how they trick newbies and steal money from them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 11

Preston H wrote:

These people are just scammers. They tricked you.

They fed you some information, like a company name, and you googled the name, didn't you?

The scammers copy names of companies and employees from websites and feed these names to newbies.

That's how they trick newbies and steal money from them.

Which part of "The client has since verified their payment method and sent an Upwork contract offer" did you miss, Preston?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
8 of 11

Thanks for your reply Preston :-) 

I'm referring to my post of today where they've made me an offer via Upwork today that appears to be funded.

I actually recognised the company because I've been in the HR industry for years so I didn't need Google. I'm also not a newbie on UW ;-)

My question today is how could they make me an offer today via UW if the job was removed.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 11

Bev C wrote:

My question today is how could they make me an offer today via UW if the job was removed.

Easily, they clicked the Hire button.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
10 of 11

Excellent, thanks for explaining :-)

You and a handful of other people on the forum always offer genuine input and advice. 

Much appreciated ;-)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS