🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client has bad previous reviews, will you...
Page options
timefighter11
Community Member

Client has bad previous reviews, will you take a shot?

Hello,

I am having some invites for job but the clients have bad previous reviews.

Will you accept those invites and work for them if you are at my place ?

The feedback on this topic will help me decide to work with some clients. 

9 REPLIES 9
luce-neidert
Community Member

Real bad reviews is rare. I would  try to analyse how bad the reviews are, and then decide whether to stay away from this client. Some clients are not worth working with.

anum-shezadi
Community Member

Hi Zeeshan...! Will you accept those invites and work for them if you are at my place ? The answer is no. Please don't try those clients which have already bad reviews. I have practically experienced those clients which really heart my JSS. Thank you

Anum S wrote:
Hi Zeeshan...! Will you accept those invites and work for them if you are at my place ? The answer is no. Please don't try those clients which have already bad reviews. I have practically experienced those clients which really heart my JSS. Thank you

Thank you for your suggestion, Anum ! I wish your JSS get better in March as Upwork is changing JSS calculation policy. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Muhammad,

Considering how unusual it is for most freelancers to leave negative feedback for their clients, if you see a consistently bad series of freelancer reviews for a particular client you should avoid working for that client. 

Don't even consider it. It's just not that hard to be a good client, of which there are many on Upwork.

Good luck.

If a freelancer has a great deal of experience using Upwork, understands JSS, and has plenty of jobs logged in their Upwork work history, I have no problem with them hiring on with a client with a troubled past. As long as they really understand the risk. Presumably they'll keep the client on a short leash.

Having said that... Most experienced freelancers would probably NOT accept a contract from such a client.

I agree with Will and others in this read that an inexperienced freelancer needs to stay away from a client like this.

Preston H wrote:

If a freelancer has a great deal of experience using Upwork, understands JSS, and has plenty of jobs logged in their Upwork work history, I have no problem with them hiring on with a client with a troubled past. As long as they really understand the risk. Presumably they'll keep the client on a short leash.

Having said that... Most experienced freelancers would probably NOT accept a contract from such a client.

I agree with Will and others in this read that an inexperienced freelancer needs to stay away from a client like this.

It's informative and good advice, Preston ! Thank you. 
I am learning all those stuff and the suggestions from you, Anum, Will and Luce are almost the same. So, I take it as a solution for new freelancers and the one who seeks this. 

Preston has immense experience on the platform and the innate judgement to discern more from the stated data of past listings that newcomers. His advice is strong to consider.

Your most valuable business asset on this system is JSS.  There is an adage in professional consulting. "It is not the work we lose or bypass that can hurt us. It is the work we win that can hurt us".

Troubled past is territory for top contractors who are adept at dealing with problem-child clients and have the power of a 1-in-10, once-in-three months score erase privileges.  If you are an up-and-comer, protect your most valuable asset on this platform.

Your JSS.   That is our most important asset.  Protect it by wise choice.

Will L wrote:

Muhammad,

Considering how unusual it is for most freelancers to leave negative feedback for their clients, if you see a consistently bad series of freelancer reviews for a particular client you should avoid working for that client. 

Don't even consider it. It's just not that hard to be a good client, of which there are many on Upwork.

Good luck.

Thank you for your feedback, Will !
I have just worked with a client whom I had anticipated that he would cause much trouble for me. And I am now paying the price with bad communication and unrealistic demands from client. Almost every client that I have worked with, before him, is so nice. Your suggestion is also endorsing what I am thinking too. 

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad Zeeshan H wrote:

Hello,

I am having some invites for job but the clients have bad previous reviews.

Will you accept those invites and work for them if you are at my place ?

The feedback on this topic will help me decide to work with some clients. 

You currently have a JSS at 100%, but aren't top rated.

Once you are top-rated you have a "bad client insurance policy" so to speak, in that you can remove one in 10 outcomes from your JSS calculation no more frequently than once every 3 months.

I occasionally take a chance on a client who looks a bit risky, but would not want to use my perk on one who is clearly a pain to work with.

Not just because I value my profile and "This feedback has been removed" doesn't look so great, but mainly because life's just too short for working with unpleasant people.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths