🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client has changed all his content at last s...
Page options
pro-animator
Community Member

Client has changed all his content at last stage and wants me to work on it now?

hello everyone
I just have encountarred a wierd situation. client has changed whole his content at last stage, voice over script as well as storyboard he provided me before, Now he is asking me to work on it, he don't want to pay extra, I have already paid to voice over artist for the script, He said now you work on it and I told him, It's not ethical to change whole content at last stage, He contact upwork support and saying he is not satisfied with me and I'm not delivering with what he asked, 
I want to know,  Can a client change whole script and content at last stage?
He still wants me to work for him and provide his video on new script but I really don't want, I spend a lot of time on old content, how could he suddenly change whole script and voice over ?
need your guidance regarding this issue 

5 REPLIES 5
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Is the client paying you a fixed price or per hour based on the number of hours you spend on his project?

*Deleted. Misread the OP (for the second time today, doh!) 

researchediting
Community Member

"Thank you for the opportunity for additional work. Since the prior work has been delivered and the contract/milestone has been completed, you may start a new milestone/contract for this new work."

Repeat as needed.

If I create a database design based on an input file, such as an Excel file, then I require the input file prior to accepting the fixed-price contract.

Just as if a voiceover artist was going to accept a fixed-price for voice-over work. He would require the script first.

After the contract is accepted, the script or input file is "locked in." It can not be changed.

If the freelancer does the work based on that input file, the client must release payment, whether or not the client actually needs the work.

If the client wants to change the script or input file, then the client must release all of the payment for the already-completed milestone. THEN the client must do one of the following:

- create a new hourly contract

[or]

- create a new fixed-price contract for the new script or input file

[or]

- do nothing; the client may work with other freelancers to obtain what she needs.

A client MAY NOT change any aspect of the task requirements - including the script or input file - after the fixed-price task has been agreed to and the contract has been accepted for that task/milestone.

====

In situations such as these, in which a client is confused about how fixed-price contracts work... I suggest that freelancers should not assume the client is a bad person or a scammer. The client may simply NOT UNDERSTAND how fixed-price contracts work.

Freelancers should explain what the client needs to do, briefly, and professionally.

Nearly all clients will be grateful for the freelancer's clear explanation and will comply with the freelancer's instructions.

If a client struggles with doing so, invite them to talk to Customer Support or ask questions in the Community Forum.

robin_hyman
Community Member

I want to know,  Can a client change whole script and content at last stage?

If you are being paid hourly, you shouldn't have any issues doing revisions.  Frustrating, but at least you are paid for the additional asks. 

Now if this is a fixed-price project, first make sure you're appropriately paid for the milestones you've completed.  If so, then additional revisions will cost extra.  

Moving forward, address the number of revisions upfront so this doesn't happen again.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members