🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client has requested a refund for manual time...
Page options
sdeclue
Community Member

Client has requested a refund for manual time but I have proof that I worked those hours

I did a rush job for a client (15 page documents with research) that I billed 15 hours for. Due to the rush nature I didn't always use my computer so I couldn't use the Upwork time tracker. I ended up logging manual time for those hours. But I did all of the writing through Google docs and have proof of the time I spent writing through their track edits function. Now I get an email from Upwork saying that the client wants a refund for the manual time (even though it was allowed in the contract). How can I fight this? I'm pissed because he was desperate and up against a deadline and another writer backed out so I saved his ass. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Stephanie D wrote:

I didn't realize it until he asked for some follow up assistance after the work was completed. It didn't scream academic paper when I began the work. With the short deadline he presented I was really focused on getting it done before his deadline.

Well, that creates an unsavoury, but real blackmail opportunity.

You can tell the cheating student that due to the fact that you haven't been paid in full, he can not use the paper in full and that you would have to double check with his professor to make sure that he hasn't included the parts that were not paid for.

That'll send him into a panic and hopefully he won't know or find out that you contacting the professor would violate the NDA that is part of the terms of service.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Stephanie D wrote:

Now I get an email from Upwork saying that the client wants a refund for the manual time (even though it was allowed in the contract). How can I fight this?

You can't fight it, I'm afraid.

You will lose any dispute over manual time, so you might as well just agree to the refund and not bother with the dispute.

BUT - the client needs reminding that if your refund, you own what you wrote and the client can not legally use it.

Reminder: Manual time is enabled by default, unless manually disabled. Clients might still expect that freelancers track their time. as that is what they are used to. I would always clarify manual time with the client beforehand.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Definitely remind him that he can't use what you wrote since he didn't pay for it.  There needs to be recourse on your behalf for a client like this!  

Robin H wrote:

There needs to be recourse on your behalf for a client like this!  

We all know that manual time is never protected. There is a reminder every time you add manual time.

Apparently it was for a school assignment. I have his professor's name. I might just have to email her and let her know I did his work for him.

petra_r
Community Member

Stephanie D wrote:

Apparently it was for a school assignment. I have his professor's name. I might just have to email her and let her know I did his work for him.

Why did you take part in academic fraud in the first place?

Funny how you thought it was all fine and dandy when you thought you'd get paid for it....

sdeclue
Community Member

Wow, you're quite quick to assume the worst about people. You might want to check that.

I didn't realize it until he asked for some follow up assistance after the work was completed. It didn't scream academic paper when I began the work. With the short deadline he presented I was really focused on getting it done before his deadline.

petra_r
Community Member

Stephanie D wrote:

Well, that creates an unsavoury, but real blackmail opportunity.

You can tell the cheating student that due to the fact that you haven't been paid in full, he can not use the paper in full and that you would have to double check with his professor to make sure that he hasn't included the parts that were not paid for.

That'll send him into a panic and hopefully he won't know or find out that you contacting the professor would violate the NDA that is part of the terms of service.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members