🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client has vanished!
Page options
ambreen77
Community Member

Client has vanished!

Hello,

I concluded a short story writing project for a client back in feburary 2020. Haven't heard from her since then. Payment pending as well. What is strange is that it was my 2nd project for her. She promptly responded and approved the 1st one and then vanished. I was hoping that escrow payment would get released even if she didn't want to correspond. I got busy with other clients and projects. Is there anything that can be done now? 

Ambreen 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

If you use the platform properly, you will always get paid for work completed.

Lesson #1: Never work on a milestone/project unless it is funded

Lesson #2: Never submit work without a funded milestone

Commit it to memory. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
robin_hyman
Community Member

If you use the platform properly, you will always get paid for work completed.

Lesson #1: Never work on a milestone/project unless it is funded

Lesson #2: Never submit work without a funded milestone

Commit it to memory. 

re: "Is there anything that can be done now?"

No.

February was a long time ago.

This is over.

Next time, set up your fixed-price contract properly so that you get paid even if the client completely disappears forever.

Hi Preston, Thank you for responding. I would need a little bit more guidance about setting a "fixed-price contract properly" for the next time, so that I don't get screwed over. The clients are the ones who initiate the contract. What are the things, I should look for when accepting a contract? The contract looked the same as that of other clients, those who stuck through the deal. From Robin's reply, here s what I gathered: A milestone should be funded before one accepts the contract or submit work. Can you add anything else to it? Ambreen

Ambreen I wrote:
Hi Preston, Thank you for responding. I would need a little bit more guidance about setting a "fixed-price contract properly" for the next time, so that I don't get screwed over. The clients are the ones who initiate the contract. What are the things, I should look for when accepting a contract? The contract looked the same as that of other clients, those who stuck through the deal. From Robin's reply, here s what I gathered: A milestone should be funded before one accepts the contract or submit work. Can you add anything else to it? Ambreen

Clients initiate contracts but YOU have to approve the price. Do not accept a contract if the price is not the one you agreed to or if the milestone isn't set up the way you agreed to. If the project is large (>$1,000), I will request multiple payments. If not, I ask for one lump sum. 

I cannot comment on the proper fixed price as it depends on what you do and the time it takes you to do that. You have to set your own prices. Feel free to do research on the net as it may have been discussed elsewhere.

Clients can disappear at any time so make sure you only do work aligning with the milestone. For instance, if the client wants a 2nd revision you didn't discuss beforehand, you would respond, "Sounds great. I would be happy to make the changes. Please add $x as the next milestone and I will deliver Y."

Hope this helps.

Thank you Robin for your prompt reply,
One question:  If the client's payment method is verified that doesn't automatically mean that the milestone set by the client is funded? 

Ambreen

Ambreen I wrote:

Thank you Robin for your prompt reply,
One question:  If the client's payment method is verified that doesn't automatically mean that the milestone set by the client is funded? 

Ambreen

No, it only means that the client at one point had a payment method that worked.
I have same good new for you though. You still own all unpaid work.

Dear Jennifer, 

Your input is very useful in helping me understand how I can make better judgment calls in the future about selecting and responding to clients. 

Thank you for the good news. Now, I am trying to find other and better uses for my story. 🙂 Bless you! 

Regards 

Ambreen  

Jennifer is correct. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Verified means their payment information has been confirmed. It has nothing to do with your contract. 

Thank you Robin,

To itrate, this discourse has been immensly helpful in helping me understand how I can protect myself better in the future. 

Appreciate your input!  Thanks once again! 

Regards 

Ambreen 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members