🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client hired me & not responding.
Page options
talha_wahid
Community Member

Client hired me & not responding.

Hi there,

I want some help from seniors.
Recently, an Upwork client hired me without interviewing me, and now 4 days have passed, he didn't even give me the project details and did not reply. 

Should I end the contract or wait for his reply?

Thank you,

regards 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Talha:
You said that a client hired you without interviewing you and without talking to you.

That is sort of what happened. But you left out some details.

A more complete description of what happened is this:

A client clicked the "Hire" button on his client-side user interface. And you (the freelancer) clicked the "Accept" button.

You accepted a contract without being able to work on it. This means you made a mistake.

In the future:

Never accept an hourly contract unless you know enough about the work to get started and do at least ten minutes of work on the project.

And never accept a fixed-price contract until you have enough information AND the necessary input files so that you can COMPLETE the task without any further communication with the client.

This way, you will never be in a situation like the one you are in now.

Keep in mind that clients are NOT REQUIRED TO BE RESPONSIVE. When I am hired, I get paid for my work whether or not I ever hear from the client. If the client says nothing, I get paid. If the client does nothing, I get paid.

But I only accept a contract when I know what to do on the project.

What should YOU do now?

You said you don't know what the work is. That's not good. What if the client asks you to apply Foier-Datson transformations to a Z91-encoded Ingerson file? Do you even know how to do that? If you really don't know what the work is, and if the client is non-communicative, then I suggest you DO NOTHING. Wait 24 hours. to see if you hear from the client. (We are just coming out of the weekend.) And if you don't hear anything from him, just go ahead and close the contract. If he is not even on Upwork any more, he will never leave any feedback of any kind, and this will not affect your profile or JSS in any way.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Talha:
You said that a client hired you without interviewing you and without talking to you.

That is sort of what happened. But you left out some details.

A more complete description of what happened is this:

A client clicked the "Hire" button on his client-side user interface. And you (the freelancer) clicked the "Accept" button.

You accepted a contract without being able to work on it. This means you made a mistake.

In the future:

Never accept an hourly contract unless you know enough about the work to get started and do at least ten minutes of work on the project.

And never accept a fixed-price contract until you have enough information AND the necessary input files so that you can COMPLETE the task without any further communication with the client.

This way, you will never be in a situation like the one you are in now.

Keep in mind that clients are NOT REQUIRED TO BE RESPONSIVE. When I am hired, I get paid for my work whether or not I ever hear from the client. If the client says nothing, I get paid. If the client does nothing, I get paid.

But I only accept a contract when I know what to do on the project.

What should YOU do now?

You said you don't know what the work is. That's not good. What if the client asks you to apply Foier-Datson transformations to a Z91-encoded Ingerson file? Do you even know how to do that? If you really don't know what the work is, and if the client is non-communicative, then I suggest you DO NOTHING. Wait 24 hours. to see if you hear from the client. (We are just coming out of the weekend.) And if you don't hear anything from him, just go ahead and close the contract. If he is not even on Upwork any more, he will never leave any feedback of any kind, and this will not affect your profile or JSS in any way.

Thank you.
I will wait 1 or 2 days more and then end up the contract.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members