🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client hired me and say that he has hired som...
Page options
abidhussain5243
Community Member

Client hired me and say that he has hired someone else. What should I do now either cancel the job o

Client hired me and say that he has hired someone else.There is no need my help.If I cancel the job it will negatively effect on my JSS or if I keep the contract without earning for two month it will also effect nagatively. What should I do now either cancel the contract or retain the contract without earning?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client hired me and say that he has hired someone else. What should I do now either cancel the job?"

This is freelancing. This is freelancing on Upwork. A client may end a contract with a freelancer at any time, for any reason, and no rules have been broken.

We previously were much more concerned about jobs closed without any pay. We would refer to these as "zero-pay" jobs. But how JSS is calculated has been modified. We are not told that zero-pay jobs will not negatively impact a freelancer's JSS (unless there is negative feedback associated with the job).

So... If you were hired and then did not actually do any work, then I would send a message to the client:

"Thank you for letting me know that you have hired somebody for the project. I wish you well with this. If you do not need anything else from me at this time, then you can go ahead and close the contract. Or I can do myself."

If you don't hear back from the client after 24 hours, then just close the contract yourself.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AndreaG

Hi Abid,

Keeping contracts with no recent activity open should not affect your score negatively. That said, if you have contracts that are still open but no further work needs to be done, you can consider asking your clients to close them or go ahead and close them yourself. Please, note that when you close a contract, the client is notified and will have 14 days to provide their feedback on the contract. If no feedback is provided on the contract by them, it will not have an impact on your score once this change is implemented.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Dear Andrea,

I have an open contract with no recent activity in two weeks. Money has already been paid. The client is currently waiting to receive more funds for the project. Is it okay to leave the contract open for some more weeks if money has already been paid? I have read mixed reviews on leaving contracts open.

Thanks. 

re: "I have an open contract with no recent activity in two weeks. Money has already been paid. The client is currently waiting to receive more funds for the project. Is it okay to leave the contract open for some more weeks if money has already been paid? I have read mixed reviews on leaving contracts open."

Nothing bad will happen if you leave the contract open.

You are looking at just a few weeks of inactivity? This is completely fine.

Hi Vicente,

I understand your confusion. There was a change a couple of months ago and now "no feedback contracts" no longer impact Job Success Score. This means that open contracts don't impact your score either. You may be seeing older posts, please check out this Announcement for the latest information.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Andrea G wrote:

Hi Vicente,

I understand your confusion. There was a change a couple of months ago and now "no feedback contracts" no longer impact Job Success Score. This means that open contracts don't impact your score either. You may be seeing older posts, please check out this Announcement for the latest information.

Thanks!

Does that mean that before the change an open contract had a negative impact on our JSS.

re: "Does that mean that before the change an open contract had a negative impact on our JSS."

There WAS certainly wording in Upwork's description of JSS that indicated that JSS scores are positively affected by having a high ratio of active long-term contracts.

Andrea G.,

My client is notified automatically by Upwork when I close their project on the Upwork system. The client than will have 14 days to provide their own feedback on that project.

Would you ask your programmers to add a feature to Upwork that notifies me, after I as freelancer close a project, when the client subsequently leaves feedback on the same project during that 14-day window?

Thanks.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client hired me and say that he has hired someone else. What should I do now either cancel the job?"

This is freelancing. This is freelancing on Upwork. A client may end a contract with a freelancer at any time, for any reason, and no rules have been broken.

We previously were much more concerned about jobs closed without any pay. We would refer to these as "zero-pay" jobs. But how JSS is calculated has been modified. We are not told that zero-pay jobs will not negatively impact a freelancer's JSS (unless there is negative feedback associated with the job).

So... If you were hired and then did not actually do any work, then I would send a message to the client:

"Thank you for letting me know that you have hired somebody for the project. I wish you well with this. If you do not need anything else from me at this time, then you can go ahead and close the contract. Or I can do myself."

If you don't hear back from the client after 24 hours, then just close the contract yourself.

Thanks for the solution. I have another client with contract ID: 26516460. The work was completed and he has submitted the bank and will let me know. 2 months has been passed and I have sent 3 messages after few intervals. Please send an email to the client to close the contract. Thanks 

IAbid H wrote:

Thanks for the solution. I have another client with contract ID: 26516460. The work was completed and he has submitted the bank and will let me know. 2 months has been passed and I have sent 3 messages after few intervals. Please send an email to the client to close the contract. Thanks 

You can close the contract yourself. There is no penalty for doing so, apart from the fact that you won't get any feedback/rating from the client.  But that might actually be a good thing,  as the client might now give you a bad rating for hassling him to close the contract. 

P.S. I assumed that you have requested and received payment for the completed work. If that's not the case,  then DO NOT close the contract. Submit a request for payment through the Upwork system. (This PS is not applicable if it's an hourly job. )

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members