Client hired me but never sent the assignment

Hi there!

I got hired for a job three days ago and the client hasn't responded to me since. 

I was hired for an hourly job, to transcribe an audio file. He still hasn't sent the file to me, so I cannot start working. I have written him several times asking for it, but no response. 

Any suggestions on how to proceed? 

Thanks in advance!

Paula

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter

Paula:

If the client hired you, and never sends you any materials to work with, and you never log any time, then this will count as a zero-pay contract. This can cause problems for your Job Success Score. It can make your score go down. You don't want to have zero-pay contracts. Even if the first one won't decrease your score, what if you get a second one?

I will not tell you what you should do.

But I will tell you exactly what I would do if I were in a similar situation:

Do ten minutes of work, while logging time using the time tracker.

This protects you from having a zero-pay contract. The fact that the client will be billed will get his attention.

And most importantly, you need to do this work anyway.

You need to spend ten minutes up setting up your work environment in the most perfect way possible for this contracts. You need to set up your directory structures just right. You need to get blank files in order, ready to transcribe into. You need to check your software and make shortcuts to the software you will use, and to the directories you will use for the client's files. You need to set up the notes files you will use to make addendum notes about the work you do. You need to send a comprehensive message to the client explaining the specific concepts and transcription styles you will be using for this project.

Do everything you can on the project without having received any audio files. The client will be impressed at how professional and thorough you are. And you will protect yourself from any harm done accepting a contract and never doing work on it.

@Preston,

okay, but then what? Client realizes they will have to pay for that time, angrily closes contract and leaves a nasty review?

@Paula,

don't accept contracts before you haven't got everything you need in order to start working on it. And in regards to transcription, don't accept anything before having the file and sampling it.

Good call on not accepting a job before I get the file. I've completed about 20 jobs - all of which have been fixed rate, this is my first hourly - and for transcription projects I usually don't get to test the file ahead of time, but now that I think of it they are almost always attached to the offer. I think I was just eager to start the job. Lesson learned! The clients payment method is verified and they have a handful of 5 star ratings, so I didn't think anything of it. Thanks for the advice!

lysis10

Is the payment method even verified? Did you ask him when he initially set up the job? Did he say he would send it later?

I'd probably give it 1-2 weeks and then consider it dead. It's weird, but you never know. Maybe he died or something.

His payment method is verified and he has good reviews, but I didn't talk with him at all before he sent the offer, which probably should have been a red flag. I hope he hasn't died! But good point. Thanks for your reply! 

Sandra:

There IS the risk that he will get mad.

But we are only talking about $3.33, if she is charging her full posted rate.

I said this is what I would do, not what she should do.

I think if she did this, and properly used memos, then the client would think to himself that this makes sense. Other transcribers just sent transcriptions. She went beyond, even providing detailed notes about her approach, how she all determine which word to pick when audio is garbled, now she'll break long passages into paragraphs... Best transcriptionist ever.

Or he closes the contract after ten minutes because he's annoyed.

jessicasimko

@Paula C wrote:

Hi there!

I got hired for a job three days ago and the client hasn't responded to me since. 

I was hired for an hourly job, to transcribe an audio file. He still hasn't sent the file to me, so I cannot start working. I have written him several times asking for it, but no response. 

Any suggestions on how to proceed? 

Thanks in advance!

Paula

I'd wait longer...this exact thing happened to me. I left it open and 2 months, after the guy hired me, and without ever responding since he hired me, he closed it and asked for a refund. This did not 'appear' to affect my JSS. I'd like to think it was because it wasn't my fault, but it may be because I closed like 8 other successful ones in that same time period. I think it also depends on the reason he gives for closing it too....it may not have affected my score if he chose "no longer need work done".

i reallllllllly hate not knowing and I do believe I should have a right to know the reason he gave for closing it but that's another topic...:) 

tlsanders

It's worth noting that you're saying "three days ago" on a Sunday, which means there was only one work day on which the client didn't respond to you. Though many people/companies operate 7 days/week now, some do not. It's entirely possible that your client cut out early on Friday for a long weekend and hasn't worked since.

Hey all!

UPDATE: He got back to me a little while ago appologizing for the confusion. Apparently he responded to the upwork notification email rather than the message on the website messaging system, so the response never got to me. Either way, I got the file. Thank you everyone for your concern and suggestions!!

Paula