🐈 Community
ankit48

Client hired me(per h) and gave no work for ~2 months, and now Canceled it. Is it -ve for my profile

On 10th Aug I started a contract with a client on the hourly bases for a long-term relationship(as client described in job title). 

Did a small work of ~an hour which I did offline (when the interview was going on)

The client hired me after that, but due to some reason, he was not able to give me any work. 

And now on 25th Sept, he ended it, there is no transaction for this job. (and no milestone was created)

I am not saying he did something wrong, am just asking will it affect my rating due to zero transaction. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I had this happen once. It was a repeat client. He had been great, communicative, paid well, and had given me a nice amount of work. He wanted a consultation for a new project and sent me the offer. I accepted, but then he said he had run out of money for the project, so we closed (no work done/hours billed). He left great FB and my JSS didn't go down.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r

@Ankit A wrote:

On 10th Aug I started a contract with a client on the hourly bases for a long-term relationship(as client described in job title). 

Did a small work of ~an hour which I did offline (when the interview was going on)

That depends on the (private only if nothing was paid) feedback the client left. Did you get paid anything at all?

Why did you work before being hired?

That was not a work which I did in interview. It was just to check my abilities.
Client was trying to build a team for his idea, but didn't start building that due to some reasons.

And yes he told me that he finished this contract in most +ve way possible.

Am just concerned about zero transaction situation.

@Ankit A wrote:
That was not a work which I did in interview. It was just to check my abilities.
Client was trying to build a team for his idea, but didn't start building that due to some reasons.

And yes he told me that he finished this contract in most +ve way possible.

Am just concerned about zero transaction situation.

A little bit of work from you. A little bit of work from other freelancers that he was building a team with. And now he probably will piece it all together and have his job done without spending a penny, which, is correct in the statement that this client finished this contract in the most positive way possible. 

And whether a job is hourly or fixed rate you should have had some material BEFORE accepting a job offer either to be able to log in at least 15 minutes of work (for hourly contracts) or for sending something to a client (for fixed rate contracts) 

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I know there are clients who do this thing.
But what I did during interview wasn't something he was waiting for.
He was a genuine.
imedium

Hi Ankit,

Did  your client left any feedback for you?

I can't see any feedback from him.

@Ankit A wrote:
I can't see any feedback from him.

You can't ever see any feedback on "nothing paid" contracts,  because only private feedback can be left.

In future, don't accept contracts with nothing to work on. Essentially this was a waste of your time. You should have billed the client for the work, clients are not allowed to ask for free work as part of the selection process.

Who want a client which has no work to be done.

It just happened.

@Ankit A wrote:
Who want a client which has no work to be done.

It just happened.

Yes, because you let it happen.

I had this happen once. It was a repeat client. He had been great, communicative, paid well, and had given me a nice amount of work. He wanted a consultation for a new project and sent me the offer. I accepted, but then he said he had run out of money for the project, so we closed (no work done/hours billed). He left great FB and my JSS didn't go down.

Learning Paths