cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client in New York and Contact person in India?

This widget could not be displayed.
katevillanueva
Ace Contributor
Katherine V Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 34

A lot of clients hire project coordinators, hiring managers or recruiters from other countries.

So you may have been contacted by such person. Doesn't mean the company isn't based in the US, just that they outsource their hiring functions to freelancers overseas.

Nothing dubious about it really, just another example of the global workplace. =)

3 of 34

@Katherine V wrote:

A lot of clients hire project coordinators, hiring managers or recruiters from other countries.

So you may have been contacted by such person. Doesn't mean the company isn't based in the US, just that they outsource their hiring functions to freelancers overseas.

Nothing dubious about it really, just another example of the global workplace. =)

Maybe not dubious, however I cannot be sure if there is really a client in New York. I dislike this constellation. And he was keen on my Skye-Id and there he asked for 1/2 page sample work.

katevillanueva
Ace Contributor
Katherine V Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
4 of 34

@Margarete M wrote:

Maybe not dubious, however I cannot be sure if there is really a client in New York. I dislike this constellation.

You could always act the contact where they're located during your interview/communication with them. Although be aware that some companies forbid their outsourced personnel to say where they're located (probably trying to hide that they outsource from their customers as it is viewed negatively by some people).

Usually it's easy to spot, since when you ask them, they will say "the company is based in XX state in the US," (as opposed to "I AM based in the US") or "the company has many locations globally and I work with one of their overseas branches." Unless they outright lie, of course. But if they aren't very good in English that's easy to spot too.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 34

"You could always act the contact where they're located during your interview/communication with them"

Suggest looking it up. I'ma bet $10 right here that it's a UPS store location. Who wants to play?

oquintela
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
6 of 34

I have submitted a ticket more than 4 months ago because I found several freelancer profiles where location and local time didn't match. I was told that due to the complexity of the feature, there is currently no projected resolution date. I really don't understand why this isn't fixed; or, in the case this is not an issue at all, why an explanation isn't provided. It seems pretty odd to me, mainly because, when posting a job, Upwork tries to match clients with freelancers in locations where they'll be able to answer more quickly to invites.

sfw19002
Ace Contributor
Sarah W Member Since: Aug 10, 2010
7 of 34

I have been in this situation before and it didn't end well. Communication was poor, feedback took forever. For me I specifically apply to jobs located in areas that I know I can communicate effectively and timely with. Unless we could agree to some common ground rules, I may reconsider this offer.

8 of 34

@sarah W wrote:

I have been in this situation before and it didn't end well. Communication was poor, feedback took forever. For me I specifically apply to jobs located in areas that I know I can communicate effectively and timely with. Unless we could agree to some common ground rules, I may reconsider this offer.

Yes, you are right. However, in this case and in many others as well, company name and location are only visible after having applied to the job and then it can happen that the contact person is in another part of the world. Moreover, I am now checking if this person was in fact commissioned by the company in New York. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 34

The one guy I think was trying to scam me and Elance wound up paying $1200 out of their pockets was exactly this -- dude claimed to have an 'office' in NYC but was obviously not in the US like his profile listed.

It's a red flag that I would be very careful of.

Tread carefully... there is no reason to lie about your location.

10 of 34

@Jennifer M wrote:

The one guy I think was trying to scam me and Elance wound up paying $1200 out of their pockets was exactly this -- dude claimed to have an 'office' in NYC but was obviously not in the US like his profile listed.

It's a red flag that I would be very careful of.

Tread carefully... there is no reason to lie about your location.

I definitely do not know if he is really working for this existing company in New York. India was not mentioned but I have seen the time on his profile in Upwork and on Skype and it was 5.5 hours ahead from Germany. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS