cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client in New York and Contact person in India?

This widget could not be displayed.
miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
11 of 34

I remember that on Elance it was common to see lots of people with an American flag next to their name bid for $2/500 words writing jobs. Doubt  they were actually located in the US. Was always wondering if it was possible to use a proxy and appear as a US located freelancer or client on Elance or Upwork.

katevillanueva
Ace Contributor
Katherine V Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
12 of 34

@Miroslav M wrote:

I remember that on Elance it was common to see lots of people with an American flag next to their name bid for $2/500 words writing jobs. Doubt  they were actually located in the US. Was always wondering if it was possible to use a proxy and appear as a US located freelancer or client on Elance or Upwork.

It's not easy. Upwork requires US-based freelancers to fill out a tax form specifically for US-based person which requires entering their Social Security Number and US mailing address before they can withdraw money from Upwork. They also mail the tax declaration to the address on file at year-end if your earnings during the year reaches a certain amount.

miroslav84
Community Guru
13 of 34

Good. I hope they also require from US based clients to fill in tax or legal forms which confirm their US location before hiring on Upwork. Speaking of Freelancers, I know that anyone can open a firm in the US over the Web. Maybe I'm too investigative, but do you know anyone living in the US and willing to work for $2/500 words?

katevillanueva
Ace Contributor
Katherine V Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
14 of 34

@Miroslav M wrote:

Maybe I'm too investigative, but do you know anyone living in the US and willing to work for $2/500 words?

Maybe people from countries with much lower costs of living that have just moved to the US and aren't really that aware of the going wage rate and the much higher costs... yet.

15 of 34

@Katherine V wrote:

@Miroslav M wrote:

Maybe I'm too investigative, but do you know anyone living in the US and willing to work for $2/500 words?

Maybe people from countries with much lower costs of living that have just moved to the US and aren't really that aware of the going wage rate and the much higher costs... yet.

No, people who move to the US and are allowed to work there, are very well aware of the living costs. 

miroslav84
Community Guru
16 of 34

And most immigrants would never seek job as online freelancers, since they would do the same without leaving their own countries and have even better living standards there.I assume economic migration from low income-low expense countries to the US or any other OECD nation.

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
17 of 34

atever about the moral/legal rights or wrongs of this, a freelancer has a right to know at the very least the timezone of the client they'll be working with before accepting a contract. And it should be a fair assumption that this will remain throughout the contract unless agreed otherwise.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 34

@Miroslav M wrote:

And most immigrants would never seek job as online freelancers, since they would do the same without leaving their own countries and have even better living standards there.I assume economic migration from low income-low expense countries to the US or any other OECD nation.

I'm not sure of the point you're making here, Miroslav. Migration from rich countries to poor countries is common, and well-represented among freelancers here.

Best,

Michael

19 of 34

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Miroslav M wrote:

I'm not sure of the point you're making here, Miroslav. Migration from rich countries to poor countries is common, and well-represented among freelancers here.

Best,

Michael

Yes, there is a lot of migration, however, legal migration to the US and a green card for the US are difficult to achieve even for qualified individuals. I do not think that somebody who works for nearly nothing and thus cannot earn a living can migrate legally to the US.

miroslav84
Community Guru
20 of 34

I spoke only about migration from poor to rich, which is still more common.  Doubt anyone will seek US resident status in order to go there and look for $2/500 words writing jobs on Upwork. Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS