cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client in New York and Contact person in India?

This widget could not be displayed.
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
21 of 34

Thanks, Miroslav! Agreed. It's well-documented that the determination it takes to get into a rich country often carries over into a drive to succeed on the terms of the adopted/adopting country, and not to settle for peanuts, as you suggest.

Best,

Michael

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
22 of 34

@Miroslav M wrote:

....Maybe I'm too investigative, but do you know anyone living in the US and willing to work for $2/500 words?

Yes. At the depth of the Great Recession, I was one of them. US contractors still place themselves in that market.

Best,

Michael.

cassare71
Elizafaye C Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
23 of 34

I could see someone outsourcing their freelance hiring process as I am often called to act as a consultant/representative on behalf of one of my clients and do so when approporiately although I am physically overseas.  The number I provide is stateside although it is quite different from my client's.

I am currently based in Asia, but my legal residence is in the U.S.  My business is also registered in the state I pay my taxes in.  I am upfront about the time difference with prospective clients, letting them know how I'd be able to complete their projects even with such time differences.  All of my clients have been U.S.-based and have had no issues with our time differences, because we work those issues out before starting contracts.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison
24 of 34

@Elizafaye C wrote:

I could see someone outsourcing their freelance hiring process as I am often called to act as a consultant/representative on behalf of one of my clients and do so when approporiately although I am physically overseas.  The number I provide is stateside although it is quite different from my client's.

I am currently based in Asia, but my legal residence is in the U.S.  My business is also registered in the state I pay my taxes in.  I am upfront about the time difference with prospective clients, letting them know how I'd be able to complete their projects even with such time differences.  All of my clients have been U.S.-based and have had no issues with our time differences, because we work those issues out before starting contracts.

Time difference is not the problem here. I often work for clients (whose company is clearly identified) around the globe. Concealing the location and time difference is the problem here, besides a. o. the fact that the first and second name sound American but the English level is low.

cassare71
Elizafaye C Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
25 of 34

Maybe the company has a satelite office in India, but uses the U.S. address for cohesion.  Who knows?  It may just be far simpler to just ask and see if their response sounds reasonable.  If the answer, they give you, doesn't sit right with you, walk away.  It may be more trouble than it's worth if you are already apprehensive about the situation.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison
26 of 34

@Elizafaye C wrote:

Maybe the company has a satelite office in India, but uses the U.S. address for cohesion.  Who knows?  It may just be far simpler to just ask and see if their response sounds reasonable.  If the answer, they give you, doesn't sit right with you, walk away.  It may be more trouble than it's worth if you are already apprehensive about the situation.

I have got in touch with the company in New York for clarifying and am still awaiting their response. In either case I will not do this work but I am interested in the response. 

27 of 34

I did a small research about the company, the .com domain has been registrated in India, thanks to Google I could find out that the address in "The India Building" an office and co-working building in New York. That could mean that they either have an office there or only a mailbox.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
28 of 34

@Margarete M wrote:

I did a small research about the company, the .com domain has been registrated in India, thanks to Google I could find out that the address in "The India Building" an office and co-working building in New York. That could mean that they either have an office there or only a mailbox.

Virtual Office or UPS store. It's a classic scam.

No one of value outsources communication to India.  They pretend to have offices in NYC to sound legit. It's usually NYC, but sometimes they choose Canada too.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
29 of 34

Years ago, I was conned by someone from the UK who has it down to a fine art and is still doing it. I was taken in by his fancy business premises, in Boston, Canada and UK. When I realized I was not going to get paid, I investigated a little further and discovered that he owed the UK business premises (and other doofuses like me) thousands of pounds!

30 of 34

In Germany each business must be registrated at the tax authorities and can clearly be identified and localized for example by the VAT-ID. I suppose this is different in the US.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS