cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client in New York and Contact person in India?

This widget could not be displayed.
31 of 34

@Nichola L wrote:

Years ago, I was conned by someone from the UK who has it down to a fine art and is still doing it. I was taken in by his fancy business premises, in Boston, Canada and UK. When I realized I was not going to get paid, I investigated a little further and discovered that he owed the UK business premises (and other doofuses like me) thousands of pounds!

A very "nice" story. I hope you got at least your paintings back. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
32 of 34

They don't register a business here. They just use an address they find in Google maps and claim it's one of their offices.

If you got the address from WhoIs, it's probably a virtual office or UPS store. 

They do it for other reasons too to scam customers into thinking they are local.

I really wouldn't trust this person. Chances are their payment will fail or it's stolen. There are several reasons why they lie about their location, and all the reasons are dishonest.

33 of 34

@Jennifer M wrote:

They don't register a business here. They just use an address they find in Google maps and claim it's one of their offices.

They do it for other reasons too to scam customers into thinking they are local.

I really wouldn't trust this person. Chances are their payment will fail or it's stolen. There are several reasons why they lie about their location, and all the reasons are dishonest.

The address from whois is in India and the New York address I have taken from their website. I think they have a real business, but there is no hint to India. I do not trust them, dislike this and have withdrawn my bid for another reason already. However, my contact person promised to get in touch with me with other work. I am not interested.

Anyway I was interested to find out more as this was not the first time that something like this happened to me. I could also engage an Upwork freelancer for investigative research at the New York address, but it is not worth the money. Woman Wink

34 of 34

@Margarete M wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

The address from whois is in India and the New York address I have taken from their website. I think they have a real business, but there is no hint to India. I do not trust them, dislike this and have withdrawn my bid for another reason already. However, my contact person promised to get in touch with me with other work. I am not interested.

Anyway I was interested to find out more as this was not the first time that something like this happened to me. I could also engage an Upwork freelancer for investigative research at the New York address, but it is not worth the money. Woman Wink

I never got a response from that company who according to their website is in New York in regard to my question if they have a freelancer in India who got in touch with me. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS