Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client-initiated submission

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
11 of 16

Lisa, once a milestone is approved, you should see the dollar amount of the milestone minus 10% in the Pending section of your Reports page. If you see it in the Review section then it hasn't been approved. If the client says he approved it or you got notification it was approved but it's displayed under In Review then you should contact support because that shouldn't happen.

Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
12 of 16

Thanks John, I thought something was fishy, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't expecting something that couldn't happen. Again, the two fixed-price contracts behaved so differently during the payment process, I thought for sure I was making a mistake somewhere. I have already contacted customer support but I keep getting rote messages and links to explanations that don't actually answer the question.

I appreciate all the feedback here!

Lisa

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
13 of 16

If you are being told that it is under a 14-day review then for some reason UW doesn't see that the client has approved the amount.  If in fact the client has approved (i.e. actually hit the approved button not just saying the word "approve" in a message) then the payment should just pend the security process.  It should be a simple matter for UW CS to look at the contract and see if the client actually approved the milestone.  If so there is no 14-day waiting period only the security hold applies.

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
14 of 16

I think what is confusing you is that the client approved the submission without you doing anything. That has happened to me too. In fact, it seems to happen moreso than not, so when I complete a miletstone, I wait to see if the client will release payment. If he doesn't and moves on to something else, then I go in and request it.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
15 of 16

Lisa,

In Upwork's model, a milestone defines a deliverable and its price. When you deliver that deliverable, you use Upwork's completion button to invoice for services delivered. Setting aside revisions and/or disputes, the client either:

• approves and you collect soonish
  • takes no action and you collect soonish + two weeks (because Upwork releases escrow then, absent the client's say-so).

If your funds are:

• pending, the client has approved and released, and Upwork has given you a disbursement date
  • funded, the client has neither approved nor released

Beyond this, setting up predefined payment dates—and relying on promises—complicates. Customer Support will have at least as much trouble as we have had understanding your contracts and your question. It's going to be easier to conform to the Upwork system than to be puzzled when it fails to conform to yours.

Best,

Michael

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
16 of 16

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Lise,

In Upwork's model, a milestone defines a deliverable and its price. When you deliver that deliverable, you use Upwork's completion button to invoice for services delivered. Setting aside revisions and/or disputes, the client either:

• approves and you collect soonish
  • takes no action and you collect soonish + two weeks (because Upwork releases escrow then, absent the client's say-so).

If your funds are:

• pending, the client has approved and released, and Upwork has given you a disbursement date
  • funded, the client has neither approved nor released

Beyond this, setting up predefined payment dates—and relying on promises—complicates. Customer Support will have at least as much trouble as we have had understanding your contracts and your question. It's going to be easier to conform to the Upwork system than to be puzzled when it fails to conform to yours.

Best,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I have no problem with the Upwork system itself, I was just having difficulty finding the answer as to 'what' was happening. As I mentioned, this is only my 2nd payment cycle (first for a whole month of work) and the two fixed price contracts I had behaved very differently, so I couldn't figure out if I had missed something or the client had. In both cases, the clients and I (informally) agreed on a monthly payment to be processed on a certain date. One client initiated the payment on the right date and the payment went through without any action from me. The other client initated 'something' after I requested payment, and since it listed the correct amount to be paid (less than the total in escrow), I mistakenly assumed that the 'something' was the same as from the other client and that it required no action from me.

I just needed clarification on how to determine what was done and how I could avoid confusion in the future. The nice people here in the comments answered the questions that 3 tickets to customer support could not. You guys are awesome.

Lisa

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS