🐈 Community

Client insisted to pay only 1$ for first milestone, what would you do?

I'm just curious guys, would you work for a client who claimed to be interested in collaborating for long term but insisted on chipping in only $1 dollar for the first milestone and upon work completion only he would fund the remaining payment? (PS: the total payment is only 12$ dollar) He also said he should have the right to decline my work if it is not up to his expectation.

I kinda sensed this would be end up being free work even if I gave him exactly what he wants. He could have very well just took my completed work and claimed it's not what he wanted, and there it is he gets a free work. It's difficult to work for someone who claims to be interested in working on a long term basis but starts doubting me from day 1. If he can't afford to pay 12 dollars for the first project for the so called "trial", I doubt he would be willing to fork out a larger payment in the future.

Let me know what would you guys do in this case, thank you in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lysis10

lol what type of loser can't throw out $12 in escrow even if there is a good chance he's going to lose it? I mean really. No nobody does this to me. I don't see why someone can't escrow the full amount if it's less that $1k.  But $12? Use your gut with this one. Why do you think someone doesn't have $12 to throw around even if he's afraid to lose it?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lysis10

lol what type of loser can't throw out $12 in escrow even if there is a good chance he's going to lose it? I mean really. No nobody does this to me. I don't see why someone can't escrow the full amount if it's less that $1k.  But $12? Use your gut with this one. Why do you think someone doesn't have $12 to throw around even if he's afraid to lose it?

re: "Client insisted to pay only 1$ for first milestone"

It is okay for a client to do that.

This is fine.

It means that a client intends to pay you $1.00.

I have no problem with Upwork allowing a client to pay only $1.00 for a fixed-price contract.

This is freedom.

The real question is this: Are you, as the contractor, willing to do this work for just $1.00?

That's totally up to you. It's not the client's choice.

I do many fixed-price contracts on Upwork, as a contractor. I always decide what the amount is. I decide what the scope of the contract is, or in other words, what it is that I am going to do.

The client presents the problem. But I'm the contractor, so I suggest a solution and I decide how much that will cost. The client may accept or reject my proposal, but it is not the client's job to decide how much my services cost.

re: "He also said he should have the right to decline my work if it is not up to his expectation."

I tell clients they have the right to decline my work if it doesn't meet their expectations.

I do awesome work.

I WANT CLIENTS to decline my work, because that means I will get to keep my work. I would love to keep some of the projects I create and put them into my portfolio. But I never get the chance to do so, because the clients want it.

kat303

Cleint funds $1 for 1st milestone and promises to pay rest ($11) after all work is finished and if it meets his expectations.

Scenerio - Contractor works, completes job,

Client asks for edits

Contractor does edits

Clients asks for more edits

Contractor does edits (this goes on for a few more times)

Contractor hears nothing back after last batch of edits

Client is unresponsive

When milestone is met contractor receives $1.

Contractor comes on here to complain that client didn't pay the other $11.

Contractor finds out that the contract is for $1 despite word of mouth as to what the client has told the contractor.

Contractor receives $1 for the work and all the edits. and there's nothing else they can do about it.

ANYONE who only funds $1 or $2 for the first milestone will NOT have me working for them.

I don't actually hear or recognize anything after the amount that was funded.

So if a client funds $1 and says they'll pay $11 later, all I here is "I'll pay you $1.00."

Everything else is just "blah, blah, blah, blah." The client may as well be promising to fly me to Fairyland on the back of a magical unicorn.

Pin-Point-Accurate.

Anyone who has read the "warning signs of dodgy clients" will immediately have this senario played out in his/her mind, just that you have said it out loud here.

Learning Paths