🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is adding milestones instead of fundin...
Page options
sydneyjowie
Community Member

Client is adding milestones instead of funding the entire project?

Hello everyone, I have a client who is having me edit her book. In the beginning, we agreed upon her fixed-price budget ($200) and discussed milestones. She said that draft one/milestone 1 would be completing the entire project and milestone 2 would be the final draft based on her suggestions. Well, it took nearly a week for her to approve the first milestone which was for $80. I had to message her for the escrow to be released. She had sent me all of her suggestions for the final draft, so I finished editing and have the final project. Well, she never funded/ put the escrow in for the second milestone (the remaining $120). I again messaged and said I needed the escrow put in. Instead of putting in the whole remaining amount of the budget, she just adds a new milestone and puts in an escrow of $60... is it worth saying something or will I get the full amount eventually? I don’t understand because if she doesn’t like the final product she can give me more suggestions and I can resubmit the work. I just want to make sure I get all $200 because I made the mistake of taking this job, which I’ve worked over 30 hours on, for such a low budget. Rookie error and I’ve learned, but what is the best option here? She mentioned she wants to work with me again after this book but I know that’s not guaranteed. What would you do?
4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Sydney W wrote:
What would you do?

When you asked th client why she only set a $ 60 milestone when it should be $ 120, what did she say? You can submit for $ 120, but there are no guarantees.

Personally I'd never do such small contracts in several milestone, it's just irritating. Or at least I'd consider insisting that both or all milestones are pre-funded

Hello, I haven’t asked her about it yet because I’m unsure what to do. When she didn’t release the escrow for the first milestone but still sent me her suggestions for the next draft, I asked her if milestone 1 had been successful and she said yes (still not releasing it), so I messaged again. I just expected that she’d fund the final amount, but she updated the contract instead and added a new milestone.

Ask her. Clients like that are such a pain!

mredprints
Community Member

Hello Sydney. On the first note,  I am not surprised by the issue you're facing. It's normal for a new freelancer to feel cheated with the actual amount agreed with the clients on a project. You only did this to get your first client and become a regular freelance on Upwork. Some clients look for freelancers with the lowest rate. If you are a pro in your niche, you need to place yourself on a high standard. You shouldn't settle for less and with time the desired clients will come your way.

Back to your question, if you truly completed the project, she does not have any reason not to make the full payment. Your client must have already initiated the exact cost for the entire project before breaking it down into milestones. Truth be told, she has reneged on your agreement. I will say you should ask her.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths