🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is asking a refund, Need assistance ?
Page options
3476619c
Community Member

Client is asking a refund, Need assistance ?

Hi there, I have worked with a client on hourly basis . I have delivered all of his work . He is asking some percentage to refund because of lame and unnecessary excuses. I did not wasted any minute of client and he is just saying again and again that In meeting you accepted your mistakes, you did not delivered proper work.... . I have proper written proofs in chat . I've got the Upwork App message for refund. I do not want to refund , It is not showing me option of canceling refund. I never experienced this case. Please assist me as I am very depressed ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hamza, If I were you I would tell the client politely, that I had done the work, and that I am not going to refund.  If the client wants to take it further, then he has to formally file a dispute with Upwork. When you have told the client you are not going to refund him, then don't do anything more, unless you hear from Upwork, in which case you must respond within three days. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

Hamza:
It sounds like what the client did was simply click a button that sends a "request" for a refund.

Tell the client: "Thank you for your message. I will consider this carefully and get back to you."

There is no "cancel" button, because nothing is going to happen automatically. There will only be a refund if you intentionally navigate to the contract and click buttons to send the client a refund.

Be polite to this client (and all clients). But you should not feel obligated to give money to this client. The client is behaving unprofessionally by asking you for money.

Preston:

Thank you. Upwork is such a good place for us, I never used any rude behaviour with client,  I am very polite to client. I still did not give him bad review , just thinking about him. Can you tell me briefly that what is now going to happen ?. I want to share some things with Upwork support regarding unnecessary refund request. Should I send things in a chat or what should do ?

re: " I want to share some things with Upwork support regarding unnecessary refund request."

I don't think that is necessry.

re: "Should I send things in a chat or what should do?"
I would not do any of that.

Upwork employees don't want to read your chat or look at your files.

Keep in mind that the more time that goes by, the more difficult it will be for this client to get any money from you, no matter what he does.

Then what should I do,  Do I just stay quiet only ?. How will things gonna be happen. Please brief me

re : "Keep in mind that the more time that goes by, the more difficult it will be for this client to get any money from you, no matter what he does."

How ?

Hamza,

The client can only dispute the hours you  have worked, nothing else. If he disputes formally, so that Upwork gets involved,  and you get a message from customer service, you can agree or disagree, but you must respond  to them within three days, otherwise Upwork will automatically refund the client. 

If you do not agree to refund, then Upwork will check your work diary, and temporarily suspend your contract with this client, until they are satisfied that you have completed the work in the hours you have recorded.  Have a look here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068588-Client-Disputed-My-Hours

Hi Nichola, Client sent the request of fixed amount only, he has not disputed the number of hours , I have worked on Timer very consistently, I did not waste any minute. Upwork can see my workdiary too. I am just worried that if i lose my true amount, what should I do  ?

re: "what should I do?"

Tell the client:

"Thank you for your message. I will look over everything carefully so that I can provide a proper response."

Well, Preston, I provided him response but he is still requiring , that is what I am asking what to do ..

re: "I provided him response but he is still requiring , that is what I am asking what to do."

You need to ask him a question, so that he knows you are taking this seriously. You need to ask him a somewhat technical, specific question that demonstrates awareness of the project. So I can't give you the precise wording. But here is an EXAMPLE:

"Ted, thank you for your note. I am working now on figuring out the precise amount of the refund. So that I can do that, please answer the following question: Approximately how many unique visitors do you expect to your website during the next two months? And how many repeat visitors do you expect?"

If he asks why you are asking that question, tell him: "Getting this information is important because it is part of my process. But if you don't want to answer, you don't have to."

After he provides you with an answer, tell him: "Thank you for that information. I will get back to you with a response within three days."

Hamza, If I were you I would tell the client politely, that I had done the work, and that I am not going to refund.  If the client wants to take it further, then he has to formally file a dispute with Upwork. When you have told the client you are not going to refund him, then don't do anything more, unless you hear from Upwork, in which case you must respond within three days. 

Hi Nichola, This question is not related to this context but kindly  if you provide little information that Once project gets completed with client, payment recieved in account, review has been given to profile . Does refund still valid or will it get expires because I see that client has not disputed my number of hours yet and i have not recieved payment yet too that is why asking..?

Hamza, if the contract has been closed and you have been paid, I think the client can still dispute the last five days of the hours worked, within 30 days of closing the contract,  but I am not at all  sure of this. I think it is unlikely that he will.  

(Unfortunately the only person who could have answered this question accurately, is no longer on the forum. I shall see if I can find the answer in the ToS and come back to you.)

Hamza,

I'm returning to my doubts about the 30 days:  If a client is too late to file a dispute within the last 5 days of a tracked hourly payment system, they can request mediation within 30 days of the last payment, which would involve Upwork checking your work diary and making a decision based on that.  I think you are OK on this, but if it happens, do everything CS asks you to do. I don't think it will happen, but just in case.   Sorry you have gone through such a horrible time. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members