🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is asking for my Skype ID before sendi...
Page options
3a49d474
Community Member

Client is asking for my Skype ID before sending the offer

I need help ASAP. The client is asking for my Skype ID. She says that she just wants to confirm my ID. And it's not a scam also. She has spent more than $14k. But I haven't sent my Skype ID yet. What can I do? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Nirmal S wrote:

From client's history.

That doesn't mean anything. Many scammers like to scam as many people as possible.

The fact that the job is actually itself in violation of the Terms of Service because leaving fake reviews from fake email addresses is another reason to walk away from this.

Doesn't your moral compass tell you that it is not OK to be paid to leave fake reviews?

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
3a49d474
Community Member

Please see the screenshot.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Nirmal S wrote:

What can I do? 

You can tell the client that as per Upwork's Terms of Service you are not allowed to communicate with any prospective client outside the platform before a contract is in place. 

You can also tell the client that skype is not a suitable medium to confirm anyone's ID and that your ID has already been verified by Upwork.

3a49d474
Community Member

I have already told to her. But she needs my Skype ID before sending the offer

petra_r
Community Member

Nirmal S wrote: But she needs my Skype ID before sending the offer

No, she doesn't.

Tell her to contact Upwork to confirm.

3a49d474
Community Member

Probably I'm going to lose the offer.

petra_r
Community Member

Nirmal S wrote:

Probably I'm going to lose the offer.

Even if that was the case, isn't that better than losing your Upwork account?

If the client was genuine, they would not try to make you violate the terms of service.

3a49d474
Community Member

But it's not a scam. She has already hired 3 freelancers for the job. So they have given their Skype IDs except me.

petra_r
Community Member

Nirmal S wrote:

But it's not a scam.

How do you know that?

She has already hired 3 freelancers for the job.

So?

So they have given their Skype IDs except me.

How do you know that?

3a49d474
Community Member

From client's history. She has hired freelancers for the same job in the past. And also she hired 3 for this job. So they have also given their Skype IDs. This is the job link. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Nirmal S wrote:

From client's history.

That doesn't mean anything. Many scammers like to scam as many people as possible.

The fact that the job is actually itself in violation of the Terms of Service because leaving fake reviews from fake email addresses is another reason to walk away from this.

Doesn't your moral compass tell you that it is not OK to be paid to leave fake reviews?

3a49d474
Community Member

Thank you Petra

9c48b331
Community Member

How can I get my Skype please?

Skype has nothing to do with Upwork, and you cannot communicate outside Upwork before being hired. Looking at your profile, you will probably be scammed before finding work.

Life lesson #1. Assume everyone is lying to you, especially people you don't know.

Hi Nirmal,

Thank you for reaching out to us. As Petra already shared, sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Feel free to also check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. Additionally, you can find a list of red flags on this thread

Edited to add information.

I will also share your report with our team for further review. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
3a49d474
Community Member

I know sharing contact information before a contract has started is against ToS. What can I do? I'm going to lose an offer(not a scam) and I have already reprted her messages.

petra_r
Community Member

Nirmal S wrote: I'm going to lose an offer(not a scam) and I have already reprted her messages.

You can't accept that contract ANYWAY because it is not allowed to take jobs that involve leaving fake reviews. I don't understand how you could even consider such a thing!

3a49d474
Community Member

I'm not going to accept that contract. But what about the people she has already hired?  

petra_r
Community Member

Nirmal S wrote: But what about the people she has already hired?  

They're not your problem and as you've reported this, you may now move on.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members