🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is asking for refund for hourly contra...
Page options
f08028ab
Community Member

Client is asking for refund for hourly contract and tells me he will dispute it if i wont refund him

Hi, Good day!

I am working with a client now and my limit for him per week is 80 hours. My shift for him is 12 hours (duration for monitoring emails and his business) and it's 7 days per week. It's been 3 weeks since I worked for him and started using a time tracker. I tracked every work I did and placed memos for what I was doing at that time.

He told me that I should not exceed 1 hour in replying to emails and I should not be logging in often during the 12-hour period. When I first asked him how long should I log in he didn't provide me with an exact timeframe he just mentioned monitoring emails and logging in at least every 2 to 3 hours, which I did.

He now just told me after my 3rd invoice to him that I should refund him the money he paid me from the start as he said I should not be working for that long. I only log in at least 3-5 hours per day, sometimes even 7 hours when it's already outside my 12 hours monitoring shift just to reply to emails. He gave me 3 options now.

1 REPLY 1
759e32fa

Hi Andrew,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We encourage you to communicate with the client and try to resolve this with them. Once the funds are released, Upwork cannot hold the amount but you may choose to issue a refund depending on what you and the client would agree to.

Please keep in mind that clients can file a dispute if they do not agree with the hours that you invoiced for the previous week while working on their project. If your client files an hourly dispute, we will pause your contract and set the contract’s weekly limit to zero.

Since the client is asking for funds that have already been released, they may file a dispute through support and our disputes and mediation team will step in to help you and the client resolve the matter.

I can see that you already have an open support ticket regarding this. Feel free to also update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

Please also check this help article for your reference.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members