🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is asking for trial work without creat...
Page options
reshma-b
Community Member

Client is asking for trial work without creating a contract

Hello all,

This group has been very helpful to me so far. I have yet another query. I am discussing a new project with a client. The client has listed several tasks in the job posting. He asked me to pick out any task and create an outline for it as to how I will complete it. I did that and I sent the outline to the client. Now, he is asking me to go ahead and work on the task. So I asked him to create a contract first. To this, he responded by saying "Submit the work first, I will pay later".

I'm not sure how to deal with this. This client has a very good reputation on Upwork and appears to be on Upwork for a very long time.

Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Reshma B wrote:

Now, he is asking me to go ahead and work on the task. So I asked him to create a contract first. To this, he responded by saying "Submit the work first, I will pay later".

Tell the client that you'd be thrilled to work with them on this project, but can not work without a contract. Thank them for the opportunity and move on.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Reshma B wrote:

Hello all,

This group has been very helpful to me so far. I have yet another query. I am discussing a new project with a client. The client has listed several tasks in the job posting. He asked me to pick out any task and create an outline for it as to how I will complete it. I did that and I sent the outline to the client. Now, he is asking me to go ahead and work on the task. So I asked him to create a contract first. To this, he responded by saying "Submit the work first, I will pay later".

I'm not sure how to deal with this. This client has a very good reputation on Upwork and appears to be on Upwork for a very long time.

Any suggestions?

Asking for free work is a TOS violation; I wouldn't have even done the outline for free. Normally I would try to politely explain this to the client, but if he's been around for a long time then he must know exactly what he's doing. Use the green "flag as inappropriate" link at the top-right hand side of the project page and select "Client is asking for free work" as the reason. 

fourohfourfilms
Community Member

Maybe this is why he has a good reputation on upwork : he only pays people and sets up contracts that he is 100% happy with. Anyone else (who he doesnt pay) have no contract and cannot leave feedback. 

I stopped doing "samples" and "trials" a long while ago without an agreed contract. Just about anyone who asks for a sample or trial up front without a set up contract is a) doing it to get free work or b) comparing your work to others. I find that nearly all my jobs that I loved, with great clients, were confident in my work before we started and never asked for "trials".

I agree with the other participants in this thread. I’m certain this client knows what he is doing. He may even justify this inappropriate behavior in his mind, telling himself that he doesn’t want to hire people until he knows for certain what kind of work they do. That doesn’t make it acceptable.

There is nothing wrong with testing out freelancers and there is nothing wrong with comparing the work that freelancers do for you. As long as you are paying them.

The client should have paid for the outline. I think he is getting free work from freelancers. No telling how many he has tricked into doing tasks for free. I would prefer to see people like this removed from the platform.

On the other hand, I do not (ever) accept paid "test" contracts.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members