🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is asking whatsapp number to discuss a...
Page options
rexoninnovations
Community Member

Client is asking whatsapp number to discuss about the project.

Hi,

Some clients asking for WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype communication to discuss the project casually before awarding the project. They and I don't have any intention to cheat Upwork to avoid service fee charge. After the clients asked for such type of communication, is it Upwork term of service violation?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Joel.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Joel, 

This is fine. As long as you and your client agree to contact each other outside of Upwork, and you have shared your contact information with each other, this does not violate the Upwork Terms of Service. What is not allowed is spamming or attempting to contact another Upwork user via a social media account, email address, etc. without their permission. If we learn that a freelancer or client is not following our TOS in most cases we will be forced to permanently close their Upwork account.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Joel M wrote:

After the clients asked for such type of communication, is it Upwork term of service violation?

No, it is not.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Joel M wrote:

Hi,

Some clients asking for WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype communication to discuss the project casually before awarding the project. They and I don't have any intention to cheat Upwork to avoid service fee charge. After the clients asked for such type of communication, is it Upwork term of service violation?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Joel.

Skype, cool but Whatsapp, your phone... 

I don't find that the vast majority of clients asking for your Whatsapp phone number are scrupulous.

In any case you may want to make sure to reference communication you get over there on Upwork chat.

Because in the event of a dispute, the Upwork will not seriously consider communication outside Upwork chat.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

After the clients asked for such type of communication, is it Upwork term of service violation?

It's not a TOS violation if you both agree to take communication off of Upwork. Upwork only recommends that all communication be on it's platfprm, and it's a good practice to follow unless a client has a strong preference, or a good reason, to commuhicate off the platform. 

Hi,

Ok, at the same time some clients asking when will you be online like. In that case, can I asked their WhatsApp, skype IDs to touch with them in a more reachable way? 

Thanks,

Joel.

Hi Joel, 

This is fine. As long as you and your client agree to contact each other outside of Upwork, and you have shared your contact information with each other, this does not violate the Upwork Terms of Service. What is not allowed is spamming or attempting to contact another Upwork user via a social media account, email address, etc. without their permission. If we learn that a freelancer or client is not following our TOS in most cases we will be forced to permanently close their Upwork account.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi,

Ok, Thanks.

Joel.

calebjob
Community Member

They might not have intentions to go against upwork but you should refrain from this.

Regards

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths