🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is back with new edits
Page options
ofureo
Community Member

Client is back with new edits

Hello,

Please I worked for a client few weeks ago in a series of contracts. The job was done successfully based on the client's requirements. The client approved the work, contract was closed, and the client left a good feedback.

Client is back after few weeks with some required edits from his project manager. Is it compulsory for me to do the edits for free. I completed the work initially according to the client's requirements.

Even if the client is willing to pay, I'm not ready to open any contract and put myself in a position where I have to keep making several edits. 

Please kindly advise me on what best to do. Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tell her to pay you in advance using bonus payments.

She pays you a bonus payment using an already-closed contract. There is no way for her to leave additional feedback.

And no way for her to demand more work or scam you, because you get paid the money up front before you do the work.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000980407-Pay-a-Bonus

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jr-translation
Community Member

Ofure O wrote:

Hello,

Please I worked for a client few weeks ago in a series of contracts. The job was done successfully based on the client's requirements. The client approved the work, contract was closed, and the client left a good feedback.

Client is back after few weeks with some required edits from his project manager. Is it compulsory for me to do the edits for free. I completed the work initially according to the client's requirements.

Even if the client is willing to pay, I'm not ready to open any contract and put myself in a position where I have to keep making several edits. 

Please kindly advise me on what best to do. Thank you.

Limit the number of revision when you send your proposal and make sure the client is aware it.

If a client offers to pay for the extra work, why not accept?  Maybe I am missing something. You cannot reopen a contract so just make sure you have the number of revisions limited.

prestonhunter
Community Member

The client probably needs your help a lot more than you need her.

But if she is willing to pay you for your time, this can be a win-win situation for both of you.

Tell her you will work as much as she wants you to, using an hourly contract.

Thanks for your response. I have been working with the client using fixed rate contracts. I don't want a case where I open a new contract to work on these edits. Then the client comes back with even more edits, and if I then refuse. The client could leave a poor feedback.

Tell her to pay you in advance using bonus payments.

She pays you a bonus payment using an already-closed contract. There is no way for her to leave additional feedback.

And no way for her to demand more work or scam you, because you get paid the money up front before you do the work.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000980407-Pay-a-Bonus

Thank you so much. I didn't even know bonuses can be made on closed contracts. I've learnt something new. Thanks!

tlbp
Community Member

Ofure O wrote:

Thanks for your response. I have been working with the client using fixed rate contracts. I don't want a case where I open a new contract to work on these edits. Then the client comes back with even more edits, and if I then refuse. The client could leave a poor feedback.

I agree. If you don't trust the client, there is a risk involved in opening a new contract. You could request that they pay via bonus to a closed contract. However, those payments are not protected. The client could just get the edits and then refuse to pay the bonus. 

The real issue here seems to be one of trust. If you don't want to work with this client any longer, you don't have to. Your contract is closed.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members