🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is condescending and threatens to repo...
Page options
theashleyhuang
Community Member

Client is condescending and threatens to report.

Any advice on how to handle a potential client who first moved communication off Upwork, very unclear about communication, then became rude/condescending simply because I don’t pick up unscheduled calls, and asked why my last name is “Huang”????

I have repeatedly asked if there’s anything specific I can assist with, and the potential client keeps bombarding random requests without trying to schedule a call or starting Upwork contract. Eventually the client threated to report me on Upwork for “falsifying identity”...? Excuse what am I falsifying here????

I flagged the job as inappropriate but was not able to directly report the client’s account.
7 REPLIES 7
calvo_juan
Community Member

I would stop responding and report this person directly to customer service if this situation keeps escalating.  

Also, next time if I were you I would check a potential client using the Upwork message system, before moving communication off Upwork. 

Thanks! I’ve flagged the job posting but I’m not sure how to report a
person directly?

This person proceeded to call me multiple times without heads up (as if I
should be available at all times) and continued to insult me back on the
Upwork messaging. This was by far the worst experience I’ve had.

Upwork has been a great place for me as a transitioning freelancer and I
appreciate all the opportunities I’ve had. But this person just makes me
sick.

Hi Wan-Ju,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had.

Feel free to send me the details via PM (click on my name) and I will forward them to our team to investigate your client further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

The main problem here was that this was not a good fit. Not every freelancer and client are meant to work together.

There is nothing wrong with a client making unscheduled calls to a freelancer... as long as the contract is an hourly contract, the freelancer bills for these calls, AND the freelancer welcomes these calls.

This freelancer does not welcome unscheduled calls. Other freelancers would love to work for a client who makes and pays for unscheduled calls.

Thanks for your input. The thing is that this person NEVER started the
contract on Upwork. Like I said, I have patiently explained things (how to
start the contract on Upwork, asked multiple times for clarifications about
questions asked, clarified that I would be more than happy to discuss
further if I understand what is being expected), and now he comes back to
Upwork messsges to insult me more.

re: "The thing is that this person NEVER started the contract on Upwork."

If he never even started a contract with you, then you owe him exactly nothing. And he had no power over you whatsoever. He can't give you a review. He can't withhold payment. He can'd do anything.

Consider yourself fortunate that you never started a contract with this client; it was clearly a bad fit.

If you found him insulting or if you found his behavior inappropriate, why didn't you just thank him for his time and tell him that you are not the right person for his project?

That's what I do.

You spent far more time with this PROSPECTIVE client than I would have.

I am sorry if any of this was disturbing to you. But for future reference, I suggest you keep in mind how utterly powerless somebody like this is.

His threat to report you? Meaningless.

After reading your comment, I think you're right, and thanks again for lifting me out of this momentary low point. 

Yes - I should be happy that things didn't end worse than this. And I should remind myself to not be so easily triggered by someone's empty "insult". Time for me to move on and get some work with clients that are the right fit.

Thanks again, Preston!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members