🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is delaying payment
Page options
igorsinitskiy
Community Member

Client is delaying payment

I have a funded contract which I completed a month ago (I was designing a UI for trade platform). My client was finally satisfied with its look and requsted the PSD deliverables.

I sent them to him and he asked for some time for his programmer to check if everything is fine with PSD

Couple of times (after waiting a week) I asked if everything is ok but he replied that he was busy to check the PSD. I know some peoople can be busy but man Its been a month already I doubt that anyone needs that much time to check a PSD file.

last week I found I can delete 1 negative feedback (Im pro designer) And I was thinking to request a payment without communicating with him anymore. I will be payed (project funded) anyway and if he will make negative feedback I will simply delete it.

What steps should I do from here :

- Make a payment request silently ?

- Tell him I will make ?

- Wait ?

- Write again ?

Thanx

11 REPLIES 11
qqsolutions
Community Member

First of all send request for payment if you have done the work required. But in your case it seems you have not completed the work at par, as you are afraid of negative feedback from client. But in either case, yes, send the request for release of payment from escrow as you have completed the work.

Client will then have 15 days to review your work and ask for revisions if he find your work is not as per his requirements. But atleast he will reply you..

My advice: Never message a client to ask for approval on a fixed-price project.

When I do fixed-price projects, I know what the assignment is.

I do the job, and I submit it using the official big green submit milestone button.

I do not email or message the client. I don't ask her first if the project is done to her satisfaction. I know when it is done.

My clients will then either pay me, or do nothing, and I get paid automatically.

But sir the client is changing the milestone everytime I resubmit my work for payment. What to do in this case. He told me that he will first look and then only pay. But my main concern is that as you said wait for 14 days , but he is changing the milestone everytime I submit. In this way or condition how can I get my payment??

re: "But sir the client is changing the milestone everytime I resubmit my work for payment. What to do in this case. He told me that he will first look and then only pay. But my main concern is that as you said wait for 14 days , but he is changing the milestone everytime I submit. In this way or condition how can I get my payment??"

You need to do this:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068528-Dispute-Non-Release-of-a-Milestone-Payment

@Muhammad Saif U wrote:

But in your case it seems you have not completed the work at par, as you are afraid of negative feedback from client.

Where do you get that idea from? It is neither said, nor implied in the OP's post in any way, shape, or form.

I ALWAYS click on "submit work and request payment" button when I submit work. It is normal procedure and exactly how the system is designed to work. In the unlikely event that the client wants something changed (it has never ever happened to me yet) they can click on the "request changes" button their end.

Otherwise I get paid immediately if the client does it - or after 14 (not 15) days.

Virtually all clients I have ever workd with have released funds within 24 hours, usually on the same day.

not everyone is like this though.I just finished a fixed price job and my client was a first timer here on upwork. He hadn't actually understood he had to release the funds manually as he explkained hwne he logged back in 6 days after finishing the project...so iw ould advise and see if your client has had other people working for him or if he's a first timer...

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "

@Jutta B wrote:

not everyone is like this though.I just finished a fixed price job and my client was a first timer here on upwork. He hadn't actually understood he had to release the funds manually as he explkained hwne he logged back in 6 days after finishing the project...so iw ould advise and see if your client has had other people working for him or if he's a first timer...

The client does not "have to" manually release funds, it is just nice when they do. Provided you clicked on "Submit work and request payment" the client is TOLD that this is what you did, and even if they don't react, you still get paid.

agreed-after 14 days. together with another 5 or 6 days security period thats a long time to wait for the average freelancer.There will be people on here (including myself) who will not follow up with their client and sit back and wait, but there will be plenty on here as well who simply cannot afford to. I always feel that if your work is up to scratch, you've deluverd, than you should get paid wihtin 5 days at the most. So after 5 days I would foollow up being in that situation

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "

@Jutta B wrote:

agreed-after 14 days. together with another 5 or 6 days security period thats a long time to wait for the average freelancer.There will be people on here (including myself) who will not follow up with their client and sit back and wait, but there will be plenty on here as well who simply cannot afford to. I always feel that if your work is up to scratch, you've deluverd, than you should get paid wihtin 5 days at the most. So after 5 days I would foollow up being in that situation

I would never bug someone to pay me. You have 14 days it's not a big deal.

New people on the platform are more likely to make you wait. Upwork must send out a reminder after 7 days though, because lots of times I get paid 7 days in. Just wait out the days. It looks better on you. 

jutta_beinker
Community Member

Igor- ask for payment through the submit button if you ahven't already done so. Than it's a waiting game for 14 days, or you follow up with him.You're quite succsesfull with good ratings.If you need the funds, follow up with the client.

tlsanders
Community Member

I would submit the request. That allows him two weeks to let you know if he needs revisions, so it's not as if you're demanding approval without giving him time to review--just putting a clock on it.

For what it's worth for the future, I would recommend always clicking submit when you send work. There is a period built in to allow the client to request revisions after you do so. 

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths