Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is forcing me to give refund

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
31 of 34

It sounds like you choked and got emotional and I think it's understandable. Telling the guy he can have a refund was probably a bad knee jerk reaction, but hopefully it won't go into dispute. When you chug along doing well for so long and then that nightmare client comes around and blindsides you, it's definitely a learning experience. You work long enough on these places and it will happen sooner or later.

Only you and the client know what really happened. You worked 300 hours for the guy, so I guess my question would be if either 1 of you saw red flags after 50, 100, 200 hours? Ask yourself what lessons you can learn from it, move on, and just realize that you can't make 100% of people happy 100% of the time. Things happen. People with perfect scores often look like their rating is cooked. Most smart people realize that even good freelancers have problems sometimes with projects. It's normal.

I had 3 disputes last year, and it kills your mojo. But, I can tell you that you can recover. It's more of an emo roller coaster than anything else.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
32 of 34

My dispute story continues.

CS wrote and asked me what amount of money I would be willing to settle for...as if I did something wrong. They won't answer what they did other than try to broker a settlement.

The client refused my settlement offer.

The next step is arbitraton. In the arbitration notice I'm told that if the client pays the arbitration fee and I do not then my account will be subject to suspension. The same holds true for him. 

This seems royally unfair that I could end up being suspended if I don't pay. So now for the $88 owed to me I have to pay $291 for arbitration or risk getting suspended. 

So...once again....I WILL NEVER WORK A FIXED PRICE JOB.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
33 of 34

Jean S wrote:In the arbitration notice I'm told that if the client pays the arbitration fee and I do not then my account will be subject to suspension. The same holds true for him. 

This seems royally unfair that I could end up being suspended if I don't pay. So now for the $88 owed to me I have to pay $291 for arbitration or risk getting suspended.

WHAT?

That can't be right

If you don't pay the arbitration fee and the client does you lose the dispute by default. If you pay and the client does not the client loses the dispute.

For 88 it's not worth paying 873! (291 from client, from you, and from Upwork)

I am 99.9% certain that there is no WAY it would lead to account suspension

Are you SURE it says that?

This is just about the money in Escrow, NOT money already released to you?

------------

I think you misunderstood.

Once arbitration is FILED (once both parties have paid the fee in case this happened) if any party does not respond to the arbitration it may be subject to suspension.

It does NOT mean that if you don't pay arbitration you will be suspended

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
34 of 34

Quoting and not sure if this will be removed:   In the event an arbitration case is filed and the other party does not respond, the non-participating party’s account will be subject to suspension and any funds held in Escrow will be released to the party who filed the case.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS