🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is forcing to remove negative feedback
Page options
sezan92
Community Member

Client is forcing to remove negative feedback

Hello. I had a very bad experience lately with a client named **Edited for Community Guidelines** for the project tensorflow -dev. In summary, for my first three milestones he was good, and for fourth one he was very bad. I submitted all i could do, and said i wont take money. I refunded all his money. I wanted to end the contract before he did, but he ended before me. So i gave him bad feedback as i saw fit. Now he applied for dispute in upwork dispute for refund from ALREADY APPROVED MILESTONES and demanding me to remove the negative feedback! I will not refund any money as he approved them earlier, and giving him feedback is solely my choice. So what should i do in the dispute center? He is forcing me to remove feedback.

12 REPLIES 12
moonraker
Community Member

Report him/her.

Clients are not permitted to blackmail freelancers over feedback. I doubt that they have filed for a dispute, it's more likely that they are just trying to scare you. One of  the moderators here will likely be along soon to give you further guidance. 

He said it inside the dispute center

They would have to have an actual reason to demand a refund. That they are not happy with the feedback you left is not a valid reason. 

kirnazdogan
Community Member

If you didn't give a fake or unfair review, which I think you didn't, you're right and you don't have to worry. Your client doesn't have the right to want back the money of a work that is completed successfully. You've already given a refund and you don't have to give all the money. That's your time, friend. It's so precious, defend your right.

If i do nothing what will upwork dispute center do?

Md. Muhaimin R wrote:

You have take action related to the dispute - to acknowledge it - however the correct "selection" is a bit tricky, I'm sure someone else will weigh in with specifics. But you can't ignore it.

petra_r
Community Member

Md. Muhaimin R wrote:

If you do nothing the client wins the dispute by default and Upwork will remove all the money (the previous miletones) from your account. You absolutely have to respond.

Important: When was the last milestone *funded* ?

sezan92
Community Member

The last milestone, I refunded them all on 31 december. The client is asking for 3 previous approved milestones.which were funded in 24-26 november last
petra_r
Community Member

Md. Muhaimin R wrote:
The last milestone, I refunded them all on 31 december. The client is asking for 3 previous approved milestones.which were funded in 24-26 november last

I didn't ask when tt was *RE*funded, but when it was funded, because the dispute deadline is 30 days from when it was funded.

There are two different matters here and they are not connected.

1. The request to remove / change feedback

2. The dispute over the funds paid.

You do need to deal with the dispute, and yes, the client can dispute everything paid under the contract if he is within the dispute deadline (30 days from when the last milestone was funded)

Edited to add: I would never have worked with that client based on his feedback history.

sezan92
Community Member

```and yes, the client can dispute everything paid under the contract if he is within the dispute deadline (30 days from when the last milestone was funded)```

yes he can. but upworks support told me, it is my choice to refund or not the approved money

sezan92
Community Member

'''Edited to add: I would never have worked with that client based on his feedback history.'''
Next time i will be more careful. but his feedback was good before me. and i hope , based on my feedback , he should face difficulties in getting new freelancers

tlsanders
Community Member

He is not forcing you to remove feedback. He is TRYING to force you to remove feedback. Don't let him. Respond to the dispute and point out that he is using the dispute to manipulate feedback--that's against the rules.

If you have messages where he has threatened you that he will dispute if you don't change feedback, report those messages. You can do this by hovering over the time stamp on the message, clicking on the gear that appears and choosing "report message"

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members