🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is not paying the actual amount of the...
Page options
909e4fe1
Community Member

Client is not paying the actual amount of the Project

Hello Upwork Community, as I was working on a project and submitted the first milestone, the  client approved and started last milestone, and now he is saying he didn't like the work, is there any chance of "not paying" the actual amount by the client side? Because this will be totally unfair with me if this happens.

Please Guide

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ah... you thought that the budget matters.

You thought that the actual amount of the project matters.

It doesn't.

All that matters is what is in escrow.

If $50 is in escrow, and the client released $50, then you have been 

paid in full as far as Upwork is concerned.

What about the $100 budget?
That is between you and the client. Upwork won't get involved with that.

Now you know.

Next time... if $50 is in escrow, then you do $50 worth of work, and stop.

Don't do $100 worth of work if $50 is in escrow. Do $50. Stop. If client wants next step done, client will create a new milestone with a new, funded escrow payment.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ah... you thought that the budget matters.

You thought that the actual amount of the project matters.

It doesn't.

All that matters is what is in escrow.

If $50 is in escrow, and the client released $50, then you have been 

paid in full as far as Upwork is concerned.

What about the $100 budget?
That is between you and the client. Upwork won't get involved with that.

Now you know.

Next time... if $50 is in escrow, then you do $50 worth of work, and stop.

Don't do $100 worth of work if $50 is in escrow. Do $50. Stop. If client wants next step done, client will create a new milestone with a new, funded escrow payment.

Thank You Preston H, I was little worried what if he given the bad feedback, thats the only thing i don't want.

Is there anything to not get bad feedback?

re: "Is there anything to not get bad feedback?"

If you think the client liked your work, don't worry about feedback. You want his feedback.

If you are concerned about not-so-good feedback on this contract...

Then after you have been paid, YOU can close the contract yourself. The client won't be required to leave feedback of any kind.

Don't remind the client about the now-closed contract. After 14 days, the window for possibly leaving feedback is over.

Now the client is saying he's gonna cancle the contract, will this take all the 100$ back?

Even the already paid for the milestone, could that be returned to him

re: "Now the client is saying he's gonna cancle the contract, will this take all the 100$ back? Even the already paid for the milestone, could that be returned to him"

Well... The problem for the client is that he already released $50 to you.

That makes it a LOT harder for him to get that money back.

The client CAN cancel the contract RIGHT NOW.

That's fine. But if he does that, then you still keep the $50 that he released.

The process that the client needs to follow is described here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062088-Request-a-Refund

Based on what you said, it is not clear to me if the client wants to simply "cancel the current contract" (which would mean you keep the $50 without any problem)...

....or if the client wants to "cancel the contract AND try to get the already-released $50 payment back."

Those are two different things.

At this point, it really isn't Upwork's intention that the client get that $50 back. He can try to persist, in doing so. There's a procedure in place for that. But if you reject any refund request, it will be difficult for him to get that money back. Hardlly worth the effort to get back $50, in my opinion.

I wanted to ask that the released payment for milestone 1 can't be back to the client, and what about the remaining amount which is in escrow and now he is demanding refund also.

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad S wrote:

Now the client is saying he's gonna cancle the contract, will this take all the 100$ back?

Even the already paid for the milestone, could that be returned to him

No, only the money in escrow, if you agree too that and don't dispute, unless there is a dispute over the full amount and then depending on the outcome of the dispute. 

It is very unfortunate that your first (and only so far) contract should end with a poor outcome.

909e4fe1
Community Member

What happen if i cancel the refund request of payment in ecsrow? because i have done the job so far and client is playing childplay, please guide me what should i do?

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad S wrote:

What happen if i cancel the refund request of payment in ecsrow? because i have done the job so far and client is playing childplay, please guide me what should i do?

You can't cancel it, only reject it. That will create a dispute.

909e4fe1
Community Member

how will this dispute is gonna work and will this be benificial for me?

Hi all,

A number of posts on this thread have been removed. Public accusations of misconduct, incompetence, or other wrongdoing are not allowed in this Community and will be removed. Posting in the Community forums is not the course of action to report violations. We encourage users to use flagging tools available on the site to report any suspicious content or activity directly to our Trust & Safety team privately instead.

~Andrea
Upwork

Muhammad S wrote:

how will this dispute is gonna work and will this be benificial for me?

A question, why is there a discrepancy with your name ?, on the one hand Muhammad S. and on the other Sawera Ch.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

re: "will this take all the 100$ back?"

There was never any $100 to take back.

The client funded $50.

The client released $50 to you.

That's the only number at play here.

The $100 you referred to was just an imaginary budget number. It doesn't matter. It could have been "$1000" or it could have been "10 caramel apples."

tlbp
Community Member

Muhammad S wrote:

Thank You Preston H, I was little worried what if he given the bad feedback, thats the only thing i don't want.

Is there anything to not get bad feedback?

Once you agree to contract with a client, they have the right to leave feedback. You cannot prevent or avoid this. You can only influence that feedback by the quality of your work.

You may prevent bad feedback from appearing on your profile by refunding the client all monies paid because only contracts with money paid are visible. However, the client's private feedback will still contribute to the long-term rating referred to as your JSS. 

Some clients (and scammers) use dissatisfaction and the threat of bad feedback to induce freelancers to give them refunds. But, there is no way for any of us to know whether that is what has happened in your sitaution, or if your client is legitmately unhappy with your work.

Before you work for another client (or decide what to do in your current circumstances), read about how escrow and payments work. Also look through the forums here and read about other freelancers' experiences. Being successful on Upwork requires many skills beyond just doing the tasks. 

moonraker
Community Member

That client's history suggests it wasn't the client that's the problem. 

And calling him a scammer isn't going to help either. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members