🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is not responding while contract (hour...
Page options
f852b5bb
Community Member

Client is not responding while contract (hourly) is still active

It's been a week since my client replied to my message.

I finished the last task he assigned to me and he already paid for it.

I didn't have a problem working with him until he stopped replying to my messages.

He is still not ending my contract so I am really clueless what is happening.

What do you think should I do next?

Wait for him to reply? But I'm seeing him online and he is still not replying to my message.

Will there be a consequence if I am in contract (hourly) and I am not logging in and working with the time tracker for a long time?

Will it affect my profile's JSS / rating ?

Will the contract end if there will be no transactions?

Please help. Thank you!

Update : He already replied to me.

Thank you guys for the comments and solutions.

I will take note all of these, in case this will happen again in the future.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Just leave it, and leave the client alone. There are no consequences, no impact on your profile, and no effect on your JSS. I often leave contracts open for months. It doesn't matter. 

If a month or so goes by and the client still hasn't messaged you, then go ahead and close it yourself if it's bothering you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Just leave it, and leave the client alone. There are no consequences, no impact on your profile, and no effect on your JSS. I often leave contracts open for months. It doesn't matter. 

If a month or so goes by and the client still hasn't messaged you, then go ahead and close it yourself if it's bothering you.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Be patient. Don't hound the client with regular messages.

Many clients just fade away, never clearly closing a contract or telling you the work is complete.

Wait four weeks and contact the client again, succinctly asking if there is any further work to be done on this contract. If not, ask the client to close the contract on Upwork's system.

In my experience, you are unlikely to get a response. Wait two more weeks and then close the project yourself. Notify the client that you have closed the project, telling him/her you enjoyed working with them and they are welcome to re-open the contract under the same terms (regardless whether or not that is true, it may reduce the likelihood of negative feedback from the client).

Good luck!

Community Member

1. Send a Polite Reminder: Send a polite and friendly message to your client reminding them about the open contract and your availability to assist with any new tasks or address any concerns they may have.

2. Use Upwork Messages: Make sure to communicate through Upwork's messaging system so that there is a record of your attempts to contact the client. This can be important if any disputes or issues arise.

3. Request for Contract Closure: If you have completed all tasks and your client has no more work for you, you can politely request that they close the contract. Mention that you're available for future work if needed.

4. Monitor the Work Diary: For hourly contracts, ensure that you are tracking your time accurately using Upwork's time tracker. Even if there is no active work, you can manually add time entries to log the time you spent on communication and trying to resolve the situation.

5. Upwork's Weekly Billing Limit: Upwork has a weekly billing limit which means you cannot log more than a certain amount of hours per week. Make sure you don't exceed this limit, as any hours worked beyond it won't be billed.

6. Impact on JSS: Inactive contracts can affect your Job Success Score (JSS) if the client doesn't leave feedback. If the client ends the contract and leaves good feedback, it can positively impact your JSS.

7. Consider Suggesting Contract Closure: If your client is unresponsive for an extended period, you can suggest to Upwork's customer support that they assist you in getting the contract closed.

8. Be Patient and Professional: Keep your communication professional and avoid being pushy. It's possible that the client is busy or dealing with personal matters.

9. Manage Your Availability: While waiting for your client to respond, you can take on other projects if you have them available. This can be a good way to continue earning money during the downtime.

Remember that client responsiveness can vary, and sometimes clients become busy or have other priorities. Keep records of your communication efforts and ensure you've fulfilled your obligations.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Itweb C.,

Your Points 4. 5, and 6 are irrelevant in this instance, providing no useful information for the original poster's post. (Your Point 6 is actually wrong. A client can only leave feedback as a contract is being closed, which, by definition, means the same contract is not "inactive". And contracts that actually are inactive have no effect on a freelancer's JSS.)

The "I" in AI can also stand for idiocy. 

sajal36
Community Member

I think if the contract is still active and client has also not paused the same then client might be looking more work from you. You must wait for the client to respond. Sometimes client might be dealing with multiple projects or freelancers so your message may sometime go down in message list.

I will suggest you might wait for 2-3 weeks time and then check with him if he is looking for more work and alternatively suggest him to close the job so that you can have feedback on the contract completed. Just leave it to client for next action.

I think the ongoing contracts will not affect your JSS on your profile. 

Job Success Score 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members