cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is not responding

Hasnain A Member Since: Apr 23, 2020
1 of 14

Hi,

I recently got a job on Upwork. Now after sending the 2nd draft to the client, the client is now not responding. It's almost 2 days, I understand the client might have an emergency or they are busy so I am willing to wait a week for their response. But what If the client doesn't respond even after a week. What step should I take? This is my 1st job at Upwork. So that's why I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

robin_hyman
Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
BEST ANSWER
2 of 14

Clients not responding is not new. If you work the system correctly, it won't be a problem. If this is an hourly project, you will be paid for the work you've done to date. If this is a fixed-price project and the client has funded the milestone appropriately, submit via the submission tool and your funds will be released in 14 days automatically. Ta-da!

I agree it's annoying for clients not to respond (I have quite a few) but if they pay well and according to the system (funding prior to be starting on a milestone), I'm ok with it. 

View solution in original post

Hasnain A Member Since: Apr 23, 2020
3 of 14

Thank you Robin, Your answer really helped a lot. 

antsgraphics
Anthony M Member Since: Apr 13, 2017
4 of 14

Awesome. Does this affect your job score when there's no feedback left after the fact and the contract isn't closed out?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 14

re: "Does this affect your job score when there's no feedback left after the fact and the contract isn't closed out?"

No. Not for one contact.

Eventually you should close contracts if the client really has disappeared permanently. But there is no need to rush to do so.

shahzad-zubair
Zubair S Member Since: Sep 19, 2019
6 of 14

Hi Robin, 

Thank you for the answer. 
But my client creates an offer with 2 milestones of $7.5 means totals $15. And for milestone 1 I submitted the work and he didn't approve yet. By the way, he told me that he is satisfied with the result. And after some days he messages me that "sorry for the delay". I told him "no worries". And after that, he is not replying. Daily I'm sending him a message "Hi, Please reply me. Thank you ♥". But he not replying. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
7 of 14

re: "But my client creates an offer with 2 milestones of $7.5 means totals $15. And for milestone 1 I submitted the work and he didn't approve yet. By the way, he told me that he is satisfied with the result. And after some days he messages me that 'sorry for the delay'. I told him "no worries". And after that, he is not replying. Daily I'm sending him a message 'Hi, Please reply me. Thank you ♥'. But he not replying"

Zubair:
Don't do that.

Don't send daily messages.

Personally: I send ZERO messages.
I don't even send ONE.

When I fiinish the task, I click on the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

That button AUTOMATICALLY sends notification to the client. It automatically asks the client if anything needs to be changed.

If the client does nothing, then I get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

aia-dakdouk
Aia D Member Since: Feb 23, 2021
8 of 14

Hi, I started with a new client two weeks ago and he told me that he in a rush and he should submit the photos in January. I submitted the photos the first time and I asked for a contract and I did submit another one and still, till now, I didn't hear anything from him. Please what should happen in such a situation?

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
9 of 14

Hi Aia,

If the client didn’t send you an offer on Upwork and you didn’t accept it forming an official contract, they will not be able to pay you. Please communicate with your client and advise that they hire you on Upwork to be able to pay.

When working on Upwork, please make sure that you have a contract with a client before doing any work. Ensure that they have a verified billing method so that the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection.

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
10 of 14

Most of my clients respond. But not all.

I know this annoys some freelancers.

But I get paid either way. So I am fine with it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS