Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is not willing to pay and threatening to leave negative feedback

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 15

Daniells W wrote:

I think I will have to compromise for now and negotiate for a 5 STAR rating. That is a lesson to negotiate the maximum number of hours a client is willing to pay before accepting a proposal. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

That is not how hourly payment protection works. By hiring you hourly, the client agrees to pay for hours worked. When properly tracked by Upwork (as Petra has detailed), that payment is guaranteed. "Tracked on her end"? Please. Empty bluster. Cuts no ice with Upwork.

Upwork's terms would protect your payment if you would let them. You can neither control nor negotiate feedback. If you just ignore the threats and collect your money, you will be paid for your work. And that's what we're here for, isn't it? Then it will be the client who has violated terms of service by threatening feedback manipulation, and not you who has violated the terms by bargaining for manipulated feedback.

deeuces
Daniells W Member Since: Feb 16, 2019
12 of 15

Powerful response. I'll have to rethink my decision. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 15

Daniells W wrote:

Powerful response. I'll have to rethink my decision. 

Don't use refund for 5 stars. If you want to refund, you can tell her that you feel badly for the way things worked out and would like to give her a refund minus the two hours as a good faith effort to make things right. You'd probably get a lot farther that way anyway.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 15

Daniells W wrote:

Before I forget, she had set a limit of 40hrs. 

What the limit was is irrelevant. Did the work take 8 hours? The limit is set to 40 by default unless the client changes it.

If your work diary is perfect (all time tracked, high activity levels, meaningful work memos and all screenshots showing your actively working on the client's project) you win the dispute if she opens one.

If one of the above does not apply, the client wins. Simple as that.

Daniells W wrote:

If I dispute it, will she be allowed to leave a negative review that will affect my ratings?

The client can leave feedback regardless. Feedback affects your rating, of course.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
15 of 15

Daniells, of course you'll also be able to leave her Feedback.  Assure that it's:  professional, honest, and short.  Best of luck! 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS