🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is refusing to pay work completed in a...
Page options
c121b2bd
Community Member

Client is refusing to pay work completed in a full milestone

13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Maria D wrote:

What should I do at this point?

Not take contracts you don't have the experience to handle, and which are potentially risky.

If you submitted for payment, and the client doesn't request changes, you get paid after 14 days.

The client could request their funds back and you could dispute.

The client can leave feedback.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Frankly, the whole thing sounded weird from the start. Don't talk to them any more and wait for your payment, and don't do jobs like this any more. This isn't a safe thing to do, IMO. 

c121b2bd
Community Member

Thank you! To be honest, the job as more of like as a process server so it was just a drop and leave but he miscommunicated big time and only followed his final instructions.

petra_r
Community Member

You are not a process server. 

Now you have your first and so far only Upwork contract go poorly. Don't take work you don't have professional experience in.

roberty1y
Community Member

Did the client start a contract and fund a milestone for the job? If not, there's no way you can make them pay you, but the good news would be that they can't leave negative feedback either. If there is a proper contract in place, the best thing to do is nothing. You can just leave the contract open for weeks or months and close it when the client has forgotten about it. In that event it's unlikely they'll come back to leave feedback, so it'll have no adverse effect on your profile.

c121b2bd
Community Member

Update: I was paid but left me with 1 star when I completed the work with how exactly the instructions I was given! This isn't fair so is there a way to get Upwork to review it themselves to get me the 4-5 stars I deserve?

Maria D wrote:

is there a way to get Upwork to review it themselves to get me the 4-5 stars I deserve?

No.

You can refund the client to have the 1 star review removed from your profile, but your JSS will still be affected (when you get one).

And, while I'm not privvy to the details of how this job went, the client does not have a history of giving or receiving poor feedback, suggesting they may not have been the issue.

petra_r
Community Member

Maria D wrote:

This isn't fair so is there a way to get Upwork to review it themselves to get me the 4-5 stars I deserve?

No, there isn't. Upwork don't get involved in "this feedback isn't fair" squabbles, or they'd have no time to do anything else.

Maria D wrote:

Update: I was paid but left me with 1 star when I completed the work with how exactly the instructions I was given! This isn't fair so is there a way to get Upwork to review it themselves to get me the 4-5 stars I deserve?

Upwork isn't in a position to make assessments of whether you deserved or didn't deserve a better review; clients are allowed to make decisions based on the experience they had, which includes how well you communicated and how professionally you behaved, rather than just whether or not you carried out instructions. But just from reading your initial post, it doesn't sound like the project went well, did it? You've never done this type of work before, and ended up arguing with the client and blaming them for not providing better instructions. It also sounds like you didn't simply wait out the 14-day period to get paid, but pressured the client to pay earlier? If I were you, I'd refund the money to make the 1-star review disappear from my profile, but it will still have an impact on your JSS when you get one. 

LOL I like your assumptive mindset. But nothing close to what happened but thanks for the reply on the thread.

It does not serve you well to get argumentative with people that are genuinely trying to help you. You seemed like a nice but very inexperienced person until now. Well, you are an adult and have every right to make your own decisions which jobs you accept, how you deal with the client, and how you deal with the feedback that results. Your upwork career could not have started worse, but ultimately it will be a testament to your character how you choose to deal with that. 

We only have the information we can get from your posts and the client's hiring history. Since he hired ~50 freelancers and you are the first out of ~30 freelancers doing the same job, who was unhappy and the client was unhappy with, it is save to say that whatever went wrong is on you.

BTW: your profile needs a lot of work:

- I am a small business esthetician owner

- I am a business student

- I am currently studying UX/UI Design and Graphic Design.

- Expert Virtual Administrative Assistant and Customer Support

Maria D wrote:

LOL I like your assumptive mindset. But nothing close to what happened but thanks for the reply on the thread.

Okay, whatever. What I think doesn't matter whatsoever anyway; clearly the client didn't think that you did a good job, and that's the only opinion that matters here. Not mine, not yours, and not Upwork's.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths