Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is requesting to work outside of Upwork

spictor
Ace Contributor
Helmy E Member Since: Jan 4, 2017
1 of 29

Hello everyone,

I submitted a proposal for this job **edited for Community Guidelines** a month ago, and yesterday a received a reply from the client requesting my Skype ID, so I sent it to her, just to receive a call from her regarding my proposal, after discussing my resume and the job requirements and what is it I’m going to do exactly, she told me that my rate is a bit high for her and what she is willing to pay for that position is $2 per hour, so I informed her that Upwork minimum is $3, she said that she is aware of that and she is also aware that Upwork charges fees, and that is why she wants me to work outside of Upwork and avoid paying the fees,  I informed her that if it is a matter of budget she can make a fixed price job and set milestone every week, but she said she already did a trial period with several freelancers who accepted her offer and worked outside the platform but none of them was a good fit for the job and that is the reason she took a long time to reply to my proposal, I informed her that I’m not willing to work outside of Upwork and ended the interview.

I’m just posting that here to notify anyone from Upwork support, I already flagged the job, but I was not able to open a support ticket regarding this violation of TOS.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 29

Thanks for sharing this here, Helmy. You were right to stand your ground and to flag the job. But I will also be sharing this to the team so that they can take actions against the client's account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
spictor
Ace Contributor
3 of 29

Update

The same customer contacted me a few minutes ago,  she started screen share on skype and started giving me training on the job, so I told her that she did not award me a contract on upwork yet and I will not be able to start until she does that, she said that she thought we are on the same page, I told her again to create an invite only fixed price job and invite me to it and award me a contract so that I can work for her, she said she does not know how to make milestones and fixed price jobs, then she said that she will try to do that next Thursday when she have some free time. I need some advice on how to handle this, should I stop all communication with her, or should I wait for her to award me a contract?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 29

Helmy E wrote:. I need some advice on how to handle this, should I stop all communication with her, or should I wait for her to award me a contract?

Don't you think that accepting a contract from that person would do more harm than good even if she were willing to award you one, which seems doubtful...

spictor
Ace Contributor
5 of 29

Honestly Petra I really do not know, I just assume that a person means well until proven otherwise, she sounds honest and sounds like a person who is under a heavy work load, I do want to help her and get the job and at the same time I do not want to get scammed or violate the TOS, when she called me I thought that was because of the topic here, but she did not seem to know about it yet, and she went ahead with the training material and she wanted me to start immediately, when I mentioned the contract she paused and then said she will do it next Thursday and ended the call, I seriously do not know what to do if she contacts me one more time.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 29

@Helmy E wrote:

Honestly Petra I really do not know,

Think about it.....

If she has time "training you" she has time to click the "HIRE" button.

aocumen
7 of 29

Hi Helmy, 

I suggest that you continue communicating with the client when he/she has already created the contract via the platform. Here is a link to a help article on how the client can get started on the platform as a client. 

~ Avery
Upwork
spictor
Ace Contributor
8 of 29

Thank you Avery for the like, I will try and share it with her, but her excuse is mainly that she does not have the time to create a new job and award it to me, meaning she lacks the time not the knowledge. But I will take your advice and continue to communicate with her maybe she will award me a contract after all.

aocumen
9 of 29

Hi Helmy, 

The team is requesting for screengrabs of your discussion with your client. Could you please send it to me via a private message. 

~ Avery
Upwork
protegesolutions
Steven C Member Since: Aug 27, 2015
10 of 29

Just an FYI that I had the same thing happen last year. The client strung me along for two weeks on the promise of a UW contract all the while trying to get me to work outside of UW. I worked during the two weeks in good faith while their finance dept sorted things out (or so I thought) and then they threatened me after I stopped working! Mental. Full disclosure: I was reimbursed for the time I worked but not through UW as a contract never eventuated. Contact me if you want more info.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS