Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is requesting to work outside of Upwork

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 29

@Steven C wrote:

Full disclosure: I was reimbursed for the time I worked but not through UW as a contract never eventuated. Contact me if you want more info.

Chances are Upwork will "contact you" (by suspending your account) as accepting payment "not through Upwork" is a violation of their terms of service that could easily cost you your account.

protegesolutions
Steven C Member Since: Aug 27, 2015
12 of 29

Well, that would be kinda like shooting the messenger, don't you think?

I can corroborate all of my attempts to get this client to formally appoint me. I'm just not used to being lied to or strung along, so I did the work in good faith, as I said. I'm even happy to pay UW their commission if they want.

Having said that, it could be a blessing in disguise if UW suspends me!

e84f306a
Leigh S Member Since: Apr 17, 2017
13 of 29

I’m posting here because, unbelievably, my partner’s Upwork account has been suspended, just as someone here said it would be. It’s ridiculous.

He advised Upwork of a dodgy client that messed him about for a couple of weeks, advised that he was paid outside of Upwork because there was no other way to get reimbursed for his time, offered to pay Upwork its commission, and they suspend HIS account?! They think that is a better option than simply asking him more about what happened? And they go after him – with Upwork earnings of around 75k rather than  going after the dodgy client?

That’s crazy.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
14 of 29

@Leigh S wrote:

I’m posting here because, unbelievably, my partner’s Upwork account has been suspended, just as someone here said it would be. It’s ridiculous.

He advised Upwork of a dodgy client that messed him about for a couple of weeks, advised that he was paid outside of Upwork because there was no other way to get reimbursed for his time, offered to pay Upwork its commission, and they suspend HIS account?! They think that is a better option than simply asking him more about what happened? And they go after him – with Upwork earnings of around 75k rather than  going after the dodgy client?

That’s crazy.

Not crazy, everyone is obligated to abide by the same rules.  No exceptions!

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
15 of 29

Hi Steven,

Please note that all payments need to be processed through Upwork and accepting to get paid directly is a serious violation of Upwork ToS. Our team will follow up with you shortly and I'd advise you to provide all the information about the contract and client you worked with off Upwork.

Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 29

I appreciate the honesty of freelances such as Steven and Leigh... but Upwork makes it pretty clear in all their documentation that all payments must go through Upwork.

And it's not an obscure rule or anything. It's pretty much the most important rule.

And it's their business model as well.

Upwork doesn't charge freelancers or clients for membership. It doesn't charge to bid on jobs or post jobs or host profiles or anything.

It makes its money by charging a percentage fee when work is actually done and paid for. That's it. So it's just common sense that this is a rule.

I don't want to see any freelancer have their account permanently terminated or being honest about what happened to them while working with a difficult client. I think a temporary suspension would suffice.

But for anybody reading this thread: Arranging alternative off-platform payment is not something that is allowed, and is not something to be taken lightly.

fhade
Ace Contributor
Harwinder S Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
17 of 29

Why don't these client just seach for "Freelancer name "  "skill eg database designer".  on google??

xander316
Alexander G Member Since: Apr 13, 2017
18 of 29
I also had the same incident. I had a project from a client.She wants it done immediately and I gave her the projects in less than 5 hours. But she keeps telling me that she cant access the milestone and it keeps getting an error. Until she had texted me privately to just send the project outside the Upwork.And I tell her "no". I already told her that I am not interested in her money and I only want positive feedback for the project. The project in the first place was underpriced.
That makes her angry. I was just following the rules and I have done an accurate project. Surely her feedbacks will affect my JSS. We all work hard to make our profile good but sometimes it wasnt enough for some clients.
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
19 of 29

Personally, I would not report a client who asked about other ways to pay me after being unable to do so because the system was not working properly. There have been problems with milestones and payments lately. The proper response, IMO, is to tell the client that there is a glitch in the system. Then either wait to see if the issue resolves itself or ask CS to assist the client in facilitating the payment. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 29

@Alexander G wrote:
I also had the same incident. I had a project from a client.She wants it done immediately and I gave her the projects in less than 5 hours. But she keeps telling me that she cant access the milestone and it keeps getting an error. Until she had texted me privately to just send the project outside the Upwork.And I tell her "no".

So the client never suggested that she PAY you outside Upwork, the client suggested that you send the work outside of Upwork while the site was playing up.

That was OF COURSE absolutely in order and you can send work to the client whichever way you and the client like.

With the site being constantly broken it would be beyond crazy to refuse to send the work again by email or dropbox or any which way to get it to the client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS