Did you mean: 

Client is requesting to work outside of Upwork

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
21 of 29

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Alexander, 

If you haven't already, please report this client to the team with screen grabs of your conversation with her, in which she was suggesting to pay you off the platform so that the team can investigate on it further. 

Why on earth? Investigate the client for what? Where is anyone getting the idea from that anyone suggested PAYING outside of Upwork?

@Read what he wrote:

Client funded milestone.

Alexander did the work and submitted it via the milestone.

Upwork is broken and client was unable to access the milestone with the submitted work, a WELL KNOWN problem.

Client requested that Alexander send the urgent work outside of Upwork, which, with the site broken, was the only way she could get her hands on it.

Alexander refused.

Client unhappy.

Poor feedback.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
22 of 29

Hi Petra, 
I apologise if I misread the post, and took it as the client requesting Alexander to be paid off the platform. I have since removed the reply so that it doesn't confuse the community. 

Hi Alexander, 

If ever you come across a similar circumstance in the future, please reach out to our support team so that we can assist both you and the client in working around the issue.

~ Avery
Upwork
xander316
Alexander G Member Since: Apr 13, 2017
23 of 29
Thanks for the advise. I told her that it was not my fault nor hers that she cannot access the milestone.
I told her to call for support team and that is what she do. We had a rough argument but at the end we settled things out.
I think the glitch was before or during the maintenance period of Upwork.
michaelranaii
Mike R Member Since: Nov 27, 2017
24 of 29

I just stumbled upon this as I was looking for Upwork's official policy on "work" and "payment" outside the platform.

I don't know who screens the gigs on this platform for "work outside the platform," but just reading the job descriptions I see where description of the gig implies that you'll be working for someone off-platform and being paid away from the platform.

In fact, if possible, I'd like to discuss this further with a moderator.

petra_r
Community Guru
25 of 29

@Mike R wrote:

In fact, if possible, I'd like to discuss this further with a moderator.

There is nothing to "discuss."

All payments must be made via Upwork. Any attempt to pay outside will lead to both client and freelancer being suspended.

The work does not have to be done via the platform, client and freelancer are perfectly free to communicate and work whichever way suits them, but a freelancer must be hired (via an Upwork contract) on the platform and paid via the platform.

As far as "who screens the gigs" is concerned, ultimately Upwork does spotchecks, has some automated algorithms which flag a lot and we are free to flag any job posts which are in violation of Upwork policy so they can get reviewed and removed if needed.

flag as inappropriate.jpg

michaelranaii
Mike R Member Since: Nov 27, 2017
26 of 29

I appreciate your response, but I feel like a point is being missed.

I flag more gigs on here than I apply to because I can tell by the wording on the gig that they're either looking for work off-platform or they want to pay off-platform.  Many of the gigs here are from agencies looking for freelancers (very common); the issue at hand is that an agency will want to pay the client off-platform (violation of your TOS).

There are a number of flags that can be used to report a gig to Upwork.  It seems like most of what I see in the searches I do violates most of them.  I'd bet if you removed all the violating gigs, there wouldn't be much left.

Thank you for hearing me out.

petra_r
Community Guru
27 of 29

@Mike wrote:

There are a number of flags that can be used to report a gig to Upwork.  It seems like most of what I see in the searches I do violates most of them.  I'd bet if you removed all the violating gigs, there wouldn't be much left.

Sorry, but that was the case hardly any work would get done and the platform would be out of business.

I think you may be misinterpreting either the terms of service or the job postings if "most of what you see in the searches violates most of them"

Maybe take a step back from flagging, win a contract or two, gain experience on the platform and learn how to spot the real dodgy ones...

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
28 of 29

Hi Mike,

I'd like to reiterate the information Petra already shared and encourage you to flag the job you are referring to if you haven't already. All flagged jobs are reviewed by a dedicated team and if violation is confirmed, actions are taken.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
29 of 29

You and your clients are bound contractually (ToS) to hire, bill and pay through UW. Far more importantly, you are both ethically required to do so. Your client has already demonstrated a willigness to cheat UW; why shouldn't the client cheat you, also?

NEVER accept work from an UW client without hiring, billing and paying through UW.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS